cooker switch near sink

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As mentioned there is no reg to say that. (300mm)Then My house fails on ALL of the above and the NICEIC spark who did it, needs a stern talking to. :eek:
Thanks for clearing that up Admin :Applaud

Thing I do not like about the lgb is it never states where it gets the info from.

GS,

I see no problem with the diagram you put up as long as the switch is at least 50mm to the side of the cooker.

Though for the life of me I cannot see why the client should object to it being in the sink cupboard.

It is GAS REGS that prohibit any combustible material (including sockets etc) for 740mm above and 50mm each side of a hob.

It would seem sensible to regard this as best practice when installing for a leccy hob.

why dont they organise the kitchen properly? a cooker should not be infront of a window for a start! put the sink there. and if you put the switch above the sink will it not be more than 1200 high?

why dont they organise the kitchen properly? a cooker should not be infront of a window for a start! put the sink there. and if you put the switch above the sink will it not be more than 1200 high?
That's only a building regs requirement, not a wiring regs requirement. Unless this is a new build or extension, the kitchen will not be subject to building control approval so you can ignore that and put it at any height you want.

Personally I would go with the OP's drawing in post #19 above.

For the record I purposely deviated in my own house and have the cooker switch directly above the gas hob. I has not melted or caught fire, and indeed if I want to I can reach over the pans boiling away on the gas hob and turn it on or off without my arm catching fire contrary to popular belief.

And why did I put it there? so when I want to use something like a Gorge Forman electric grill or an electric chip pan, I can stand it ON the hob (on a chopping board) and it's under the cooker extract fan. They have such a silly short mains lead that if I just plugged it into one of the sockets either side of the cooker it would not reach under the cooker hood so the fumes would not be extracted. So having a cooker switch with a built in socket right behind the cooker solves that issue.

That's only a building regs requirement, not a wiring regs requirement. Unless this is a new build or extension, the kitchen will not be subject to building control approval so you can ignore that and put it at any height you want.Personally I would go with the OP's drawing in post #19 above.

For the record I purposely deviated in my own house and have the cooker switch directly above the gas hob. I has not melted or caught fire, and indeed if I want to I can reach over the pans boiling away on the gas hob and turn it on or off without my arm catching fire contrary to popular belief.

And why did I put it there? so when I want to use something like a Gorge Forman electric grill or an electric chip pan, I can stand it ON the hob (on a chopping board) and it's under the cooker extract fan. They have such a silly short mains lead that if I just plugged it into one of the sockets either side of the cooker it would not reach under the cooker hood so the fumes would not be extracted. So having a cooker switch with a built in socket right behind the cooker solves that issue.
So, do Corgi / Gas Safe not have juristiction in Scotland then?

So, do Corgi / Gas Safe not have juristiction in Scotland then?
All I know or care is that this was a new build house, and building control signed it off like that and gave me a completion certificate.

I don't do it like that for customers, but it's my house and I wanted it like that for a specific reason, and nobody told me I couldn't.

I was merely illustrating that just because a socket is a little closer to a cooker than it really ought to be, does not mean it's dangerous or is going to catch fire.

That's only a building regs requirement, not a wiring regs requirement. Unless this is a new build or extension, the kitchen will not be subject to building control approval so you can ignore that and put it at any height you want.
Thats not quite correct. Building Regualtions need to be followed for ANY work on ANY building or structure in England and Wales.

Also Part M does not apply to existing dwellings including extenstions to existing dwellings but only to new dwellings.

Part M need not be followed in a kitchen too due to the extra obsticle of the units and the requirment to ensure the sockets are high enough off the finished worktop to allow plugs to be inserted without fouling the flexiable chords connected to them.

Another option you have is the isolation within 2.5 meters, oposite wall in a small kitchen ? clearly marked and labeled, I see no objection. Its away from any sink/door, and fully complies.

Another option you have is the isolation within 2.5 meters, oposite wall in a small kitchen ? clearly marked and labeled, I see no objection. Its away from any sink/door, and fully complies.
You are correct, this would be the best position for the switch, however the cable has been taken to the adjacent wall as the kitchen layout has changed after the cables where ran in. A lot of work would be involved to re route the cable, which im sure the client would not be happy to pay for.

Cheers

It will be more than 1200 high, however i dont see this as an issue as it is a re wire and not a new build?

The kitchen is so small, this is the only possible layout.

Cheers.

All I know or care is that this was a new build house, and building control signed it off like that and gave me a completion certificate.I don't do it like that for customers, but it's my house and I wanted it like that for a specific reason, and nobody told me I couldn't.

I was merely illustrating that just because a socket is a little closer to a cooker than it really ought to be, does not mean it's dangerous or is going to catch fire.
You didn't answer my question about Gas Safe, Dave. I'm genuinely interested, because in E & W a GS reg installer would not install a gas hob with a switch above it as you describe.

the requirement is not part of building regs anyway - as explained earlier it's part of the gas regs (GIUWR is the acronym I think).

Latest posts