Cpc As Interlink On Smoke Alarm Circuit....what Would You Do?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever changing a CU assuming the tails are the typical less than a couple of meters long..

You just include that in your costs and upgrade...

Never ask the customer if they want it or not..???

Obviously if its a longer run it could well be itemised down as a different cost just to help explain to the customer why their new Cu seems so expensive!!!

But same as with core white accessories ...

I never ask them if they want a particular brand...

Just quote for the average core white price and see what I can get best when getting materials....

Only start asking if they are after fancy decorative fittings or specific power rating of shower..

etc...

Many thanks to all of you who have responded.

I just wanted to update this post, for anyone who may be interested in this outcome.

Went back today and persuaded the owner of the house to have the tails upgraded (now 25mm csa), and the replaced old fuse board with dual rcd.

I have also reinstated the cpc (sleeved red) and used as interlink back to being a cpc and correctly sleeved green/yellow.

I have given him a quote for a wireless linked system, and await his response.

I will now issue the cert for the work carried out so far, noting the alteration to the smoke circuit.

Additionally info - the smoke circuit is now supplied via the same mcb as one of the lighting circuits, (was previously on dedicated fuse).

If he wants the wireless interlinked system, it can go on a minor work cert, plus smoke alarm cert.

Many thanks to all contributors once more.

Nice...

IMHO adding rf bases wouldnt even be a MWC as all you are doing is changing an accessory... it would need a fire alarm cert though
I could never get that,,,,,

its NOT a fire alarm, its a smoke detector linked to another one,

is there a specific guidance on this, or just that some folks ask for it.?

But there would be nothing stopping you from issuing a fire alarm cert for a domestic system :)
no, not at all,

but, some folks think its a requirement,

is it?

I maybe missed that day,

seriously, though, I was wondering if it is needed, or just some jumped up berk behind a desk asking for it.

So how does the interlink work when the mains power is removed and its just running on battery?
I could well be wrong; but the interlink can obviously operate under either mains or 9V DC - accepted.

But, if that 9V if taken with respect to the live railv- then, under "normal" ( mains) condition; the interlink can be, to all intents and purposes - "live".

What its actual voltage is doesn`t matter, imo - but what its referenced to does!

cant both DC and AC be sent down the same cable? at the same time.......

the way I understand electrickitery it can.
It can indeed, as large DC with some degree of AC 'ripple' or as a large AC waveform with a DC offset (e.g sine wave with average not equal to zero/ground)

I was about to stick a multimeter on the linked alarms here but as one cannot know all the workings of a smoke detector measuring 9v today doesn't guarantee it might not produce 230v in some other condition... And in 5-10 years they will need swapping and the householder may consider it DIY when installing 230v types ....

Radio types definitely the way for retrofit ....

:shakehead

is there nothing this man wont/cant do in the name of science

what is there when not sounding? .........

tomorrows homework,

now, do it properly this time, B- so far.

Personally i wouldnt be disconnecting it if its just a fuseboard change, if the customer doesnt want it disconnected.  I would be noting it explaining it isnt right, offering to sort it out at a price and thats about it.  

It doesnt present a danger as it is (breaks a reg), not good and not right but id rather the interlink worked in the event of a fire than it didnt.  Explaining in court why someone didnt get out of a building as they couldnt hear the alarm would be very bad, especially as it not a part.  You have a ELV supply in a sheathed cable, probably better protection than bell and alarm wire problem is its next to a insulated cable carrying a different voltage band.   

if you are installing to 5838-6 you should be cert to it as well as far as im aware.  Elesca when i was with them was always hot on this.  

Oh no,,, a 1 is the lowest mark :eek: ... an 8 is equivalent to an A :)

Which country though....confused.com
There was a brilliant snippet on the news about this new exam and grading system

"We don't want to disadvantage the less intelligent children"

That's okay then, give everybody an 8 so nobody has to feel inferior.   :coat

Latest posts