CU recommendations

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pluto

Reaction score
I`m looking at changing our Consumer Unit for a 17th 12-way split board and using it as the major job for assessment by, probably Elecsa. Do you guys (and gals!) have any recommendations as to which brand to preferentially use? Apparently MK are not what they used to be so I am looking at Wylex, Hager and Legrand. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

they all do the same job, how many circuits being used, i ask because if your using a 12way and only 'using' six or seven no matter which you use, only a little time should make it look really nice for mr inspector.

to be fair, he might like how it looks but he'll be far more intereted in what you know, what your result were, how you came about them and what they mean....

than whether you used hager or wylex!

to make it look neat, i usually install 100x50 above CU, cut slot in top of CU and bit outta trunking to match, strip back into trunking and drop core into CU where its gonna get terminated. tuck excess down behind MCB/loop earth/neutral for bit spare length. inside the tunking usually looks a mess with the cover off, but at least you can easily see whats goin where in the CU

There`s an 8-way Legrand in at the moment but we`re having an extension this year to the house and new roof with 2 more rooms in the attic. I say 12-way because around the same time as the install for the Extension etc i`ll be looking at re-wiring the house cos most is currently in singles. A 12-way CU will give me more scope to add, for example the smoke alarm circuit and leave spare ways for the future?? I am really only changing it now for assessment purposes and intend to move it when we have the extension built and I re-wire the house. I was saving the moving of the CU for a different thread :) . That one`s a bit of a headache and it`s getting late!! Unless one of you is on the night shift??

Nice one! Well following on then, after the shell is built for the extension I will be looking at moving the CU from one side of the house (currently under the stairs in the WC) and would like to fit it in a new utility link between the house and the garage. The only problem being a distance of about 8 metres! Am I being a bit ambitious here or do you think it could be achievable as I would like to leave the meter where it is? 8 metre tails, clipped direct up the wall (obviously in conduit) and then against floor joists?? Tell me if i`m being silly :_| .

No mate, but was hoping to get one fitted by the supplier before the imminent CU change.

Well since no-one else is helping, I'll battle on

Erm from previous posts on this subject the length of tails and method of installation you suggest are appropriate.

You would need a DP switch (with or without a fuse) on tails over 3m

I'm cribbing much of my info from here ;)

Thanks Apache, thats great. I`ll be working towards sorting that DP isolator and probably run SWA. Thanks to all for your replies.Craig.

I`m looking at changing our Consumer Unit for a 17th 12-way split board and using it as the major job for assessment by, probably Elecsa. Do you guys (and gals!) have any recommendations as to which brand to preferentially use? Apparently MK are not what they used to be so I am looking at Wylex, Hager and Legrand. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Personally I think a lot of brands are just six of one and half a dozen of the other....

very much of a muchness with not a lot in it...

for example...

I do like the Crabtree starbreaker and the fact that they plug into the bus-bar with no screws to do up...

BUT...

the screws where the cables go can IMHO often shreds the thread if you have too much weetabix before tightening them!!!!!!

Some on this forum say that the Crabtree RCD's/RCBO give them problems,

personally I have had no RCD difficulties! :|

ALSO...

so many of the manufactures are part of the same groups nowerdays...

how do you know exactly where the inner working bits are made???

e.g.

Electrium on line : The home of quality electrical equipment

Crabtree / Volex / Wylex / Siemens all part of "Electrium"

who makes what for who??????

I think a lot is just down to your own personal preference and the best deal you can get at the time!!! ;)

Hi all, I tend to stick with brands like hager, wylex or legrand. With the cheaper brands they become obsolete quickly and replacement breakers cost a fortune , if you can find them !!. Also with some of these cheapo contractor brands its a pain finding replacements if you dont know where it came from in the first place - btw - happy new year everyone

Thanks for all the replies. I`ll see what deals my wholesaler has on the brands you mention.

I used the MK nice looking and solid busbar for cutting to arrange layout of breakers,plenty of room good labels for marking up the CU.Also easy knockouts for cable entry.

Sorry no pictures.

It is in the SF mag.

Depend where you buy good price.

Gordon.

I used the MK nice looking and solid busbar for cutting to arrange layout of breakers,plenty of room good labels for marking up the CU.Also easy knockouts for cable entry.Sorry no pictures.

It is in the SF mag.

Depend where you buy good price.
That looks a neat CU and from what you say, seems fine. Been to wholesalers today and spotted a deal on a 10-way Hager dual split at

:) Your local DNO will have no interest in what you do after they have installed their switch. All they state is that the installation must comply to current IEE regs. Because your tails are over 3m in length it will be classed as a sub main so a fused isolator will have to be installed to control and protect the supply cable to the new position. The DNO cutout fuse is purely for the protection of their equipment and not the customers. The cut out fuse cannot be classed as protection for any other equipment. :)

Pluto

The local incoming was rerouted and I used the MK due to it being the Daughters house not finished yet, running on a sub main as well. Got them to fit an isolater between tails from meter.I done the tails from DP isolater to CU so that it all looks tidy, not finished as cash is the factor at the moment.Originally should have been 16th ed now 17th ed. It will be fully tested and compliant 3 grand kids.

Used the MK as it is the best looking and versatile CU at the time June last year.

That was a good price BASSMAN, especially last June. Thanks for the replies.

El Zappo, I`ll prioritise having this fused isolator fitted so I can get on with the CU change. That`s the major job wrapped up then for the Elecsa assessment :)

Latest posts