Customers Doing Their Own Re-Lamping

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
called to a job the other day - 'some floodlights dont work. we have put new lamps in but they still wont work'

from the ground, they look like 150w. so takes a 150w with me, open cover, then notices that ballast is a little large for 150w.... thats because its a 400w ballast

looks like they were trying to be 'green', but the ballast was still putting 400w through a 150w lamp...

I've been called out on many occasions to attend to 'faulty' tungsten halogen floodlights only to find the customer has relamped them but the tube was not correctly fitted between the two contacts on either side ! ... they seem to just shove the lamp in !

Not too long ago I was called to a flat where a 6A MCB had tripped and would not reset. It did'nt take me too long to notice that the customer had fitted an SES lamp into an ES lampholder. The lamp was stuck fast and shorting the centre pin to the side (ie neutral) of the lampholder.

I was called out to a house last week I did a CU change on last year. An elderley couple in their 80's had some of those triangular G4 under cabinet lights most of which had blown one by one since their kitchen was fitted 2 years ago. I find the them fiiddly blighters to replace so what chance an old couple. Why kitchen fitters still install these when LED's are available is beyond me.

I have seen some LED external lights in a

wholesaler's joint recently. Daylight colour

rendering. B****y impressive.

(I have done the editing)

I fitted Halers Evolight to the underside of someones garage last month, all in very good

I did get the customer to buy them as it keeps the turnover down.

Latest posts