Cyl Head Skimmed Near Reddich W Mids

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies, Just come back from there. As Wilpickard says, cast iron head, took it off and it seemed fine, put a straight edge all round it and looked closely for any signs of burnt valves and cracks and it looked spot on. Bores nice and clean with no signs of scoring so put it all back together with a new HG and thermostat and water pump. Annoying part was putting the pulley on the waterpump with the 3 small bolts finger tight, then fitting the serpentine belt round all the ancilliaries ( the idea was to tighten the pulley bolts after the belt was on but it was such a ******* to do that I kinda forgot)

So all on, oiled and watered and fired it up... obviously something wrong as ex was blowing and then the belt came off. My suspicion is that the bolts came off and the pulley with it. Was well fed up with it by then so have left my son to finish the job off!

When I working on them we always had the car on a lift, can't remember ever taking the wheel liner out, nor the wheel, from what I remember it was all done from underneath. I did mainly engine management and electrical stuff though.

Wen I was serving my time, I had the head off a zetec, back on, all up and running ok. Week later towed in, I'd left the 2 8mm bolts loose that hold a tin plate to the head behind the timing belt. Bolt fell out ripped the cam belt off, bent valves , I was not popular!

Your testing my memory now! It would ave been lifted with the head, can't remember what engine but one if the fords had two bolts a long way down between the manifold and block but I think that was on one of the small zetecs, can't remember much bother with the endura one though, cus it all curves round above the engine.

10 bolts all uniform length about 120mm. did think of taking manifold off with head but so many water pipes, cables, connectors, vacuum pipe etc to remove it would have been worse. Its just the way they assemble the car with no regard for the poor the poor bloke who has to work on it later on!

From what I remember, there's a short wiring loom which goes to everything on the manifold with a connector on the bulk head, so disconnect this and leave the wiring on the manifold, you've sorted it now anyway.

Is there anyway I can pm you a picture!