DAILY USAGE

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reidy777

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a four bedroomed, recently renovated house...... fully insulated, all new windows every light is now LED. We have a new (14.4KW electric boiler for hot water and heating).
For the last month we have only had the water heated for 2 hours per day and turned on the heating for 2 hours per day to heat bedroom and Lounge/Kitchen/Diner. There are 2 Fridge Freezers but both New and energy efficient.
Daily we have the TV on and a 1.6KW new electric fire. and in the evening and electric oven or hob for 30 mins to make dinner.
In the last month we have used 2370KW that's 79 per day AND WE HAVE BEEN EALLY CAREFUL.... is this the norm at the moment?
Thanks in advance

Electric boilers are bad news, heatpump or thermal storage boiler run on off peak is the way to go. It will consume power at an alarming rate and will cost a fortune as does all resistive electric heating.

Your boiler could easily be 50 kWh per day
I know, so i am limiting it to 2 hours per day to heat bedroom and lounge which I work out approx 30KW and using the 1.5kw fire for about 12 hours so approx 18kw per day. so the 50KW per day for heating sounds right @ 36pence per kw about £18 per day :cry:

Last week my ASHP consumed 59kWh heating the house so roughly 8.5kWh of electricity used per day, which would have delivered in the region of 25kWh of heat per day.

But in that same week all the "non heating usage" was 102kWh or 14.5kWh per day of non heating stuff.

I have never "got" electric boilers. Just what do you expect them to do that an immersion heater and a few electric panel heaters won't? they certainly won't cost less to run that the immersion and some panel heaters. All I can see they do is make it look like you have "proper" central heating with radiators.

The only ones that make a bit of sense are electric storage boilers, which are basically a big thermal store with up to 12kW of electric heaters. Those on an E10 tariff might make a bit of sense. Otherwise for efficient heating in an all electric house it has to be a heat pump.

Electric boilers are bad news, heatpump or thermal storage boiler run on off peak is the way to go. It will consume power at an alarming rate and will cost a fortune as does all resistive electric heating.
when we did the refurb electric cost was 9.5pence per KW now it's 36pence...... with no natural gas and access for oil tankers electric made sense., 79 KW per day @.095 was £7.5 per day = £225 -£250 per month as sole energy. now £28 per day £850 per month :sick:

Last week my ASHP consumed 59kWh heating the house so roughly 8.5kWh of electricity used per day, which would have delivered in the region of 25kWh of heat per day.

But in that same week all the "non heating usage" was 102kWh or 14.5kWh per day of non heating stuff.

I have never "got" electric boilers. Just what do you expect them to do that an immersion heater and a few electric panel heaters won't? they certainly won't cost less to run that the immersion and some panel heaters. All I can see they do is make it look like you have "proper" central heating with radiators.

The only ones that make a bit of sense are electric storage boilers, which are basically a big thermal store with up to 12kW of electric heaters. Those on an E10 tariff might make a bit of sense. Otherwise for efficient heating in an all electric house it has to be a heat pump.
210L indirect preplumb cylinder

Not true, we fitted an electric boiler for my mum this year, partly for safety reasons as she was using electric fires, but mostly because of a lack of gas, the coal fired back-boiler central heating hasn't been used for years, and at 90, mum isn't going to be lugging buckets of coal anymore. Now, energy hikes had us worried, but as the boiler is thermostat controlled we have found the boiler uses less leccy than the collection of electric fires did, and the house is overall warmer than before.

but as the boiler is thermostat controlled we have found the boiler uses less leccy than the collection of electric fires did, and the house is overall warmer than before.
As electric resistive heating is 100% efficient and as the boiler will have some losses from the pipework plus pump etc, I suggest it's placebo effect going on here, it cant be warmer and use less energy?

As electric resistive heating is 100% efficient and as the boiler will have some losses from the pipework plus pump etc, I suggest it's placebo effect going on here, it cant be warmer and use less energy?
More to do with actually using the radiators around the house, proper spread of heat whereas previously mum and would have fires on in the lounge only, so rest of house was stone cold. It's a bit hard to explain when you don't know the layout and construction, but the heat is more evenly spread which in turn means much reduced cold draughts from previously unheated areas. The house is definitely more comfortable and energy use has been reduced - we've checked all the bills from previous years. Not down by massive numbers, but definitely down.

Latest posts