Electric storage heaters usage when switched off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^ what’s plugged into this socket?

where’s the other consumer unit?
A socket for occasional use but also a field electric fencer which could account for something but why would it be wired into the heating system, though I can't imagine it is. Still doesn't account for my rogue test meter readings.

Attachments

• IMG_20230802_190720887.jpg
    IMG_20230802_190720887.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230802_190728399.jpg
    IMG_20230802_190728399.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
IMG_20230802_092651304.jpg what a mess!
60 amp incoming with 63A mcb's, white fuse holders on the line conductor, 400v everywhere, contactors feeding conductors, cables like bow strings, sockets without RCD's, all this before you leave the supply cupboard , what is the rest of the house like?, but on the bright-side they are all marked up, hopefully correctly,
I hope indeed. A electrician did it, or so I assumed. Well most of it was done by NPower I think. NPower/EON changed the meter as the heating on stopped engaging. Took him all day to fit the meter with him on the phone mostly talking to someone about the meter I think.

Overall that’s not the ideal set up, so maybe consider getting an EICR done

Having most of the house circuits on a single RCD isn’t ideal to say the very least

Overall that’s not the ideal set up, so maybe consider getting an EICR done

Having most of the house circuits on a single RCD isn’t ideal to say the very least
It's all donkeys years old obviously. Once I get sorted with EON I'll review the job.

BTW all very much appreciated help and advice here.

It's certainly a messy setup.

Unless you really need 2 phases, I would recommend getting that whole set up replaced and simplified to a single phase. Won't be cheap, but what you have looks very confused and unnecessarily complicated.

It's certainly a messy setup.

Unless you really need 2 phases, I would recommend getting that whole set up replaced and simplified to a single phase. Won't be cheap, but what you have looks very confused and unnecessarily complicated.
The two phases were because the existing system couldn't drive the heating system, so they brought in another phase for the heating. This was done probably 30 years ago.

why do I think we’re not being told the whole story ….
I'm getting the impression EON isn't my only worry however, currently, it is due to the massive bill they've sent me. I'm taking on board everyone's concerns here and will have them looked into.

why do I think we’re not being told the whole story ….
Sorry, my other reply was to the earth issue. Believe me, I'm here trying to fathom out why my heating circuit is running when there's no heating and when there is heating, it doubles up into the day rate, as well as a kettle test moving both the day and night rate at the same time.
I'm not an electrician, and between the Npower and EON, as well as the electrician who moved the units outside, I haven't got the foggiest about anything you lot are picking up on. What do you want to know?

I don't know what an earth is, but I assume it is the wire that goes into the ground beside the cabinet. I can provide a picture if required, which would be the complete set. It was installed when the Electric Board, at the time, installed the heating. Due to a reverse voltage a good year ago, the emergency electric fellow came out to check what the problem was. A faulty pump somewhere on the property, but he did say a ground earth like ours he'd not seen in a long time and made mention it was not the 'done' thing but checked it and said it was working correctly.

I record my meter readings nearly every day and have done since 28/06/2023, due to the issues with EON since they replaced my two meters with this single one (in April 2021) and now believe I don't even have storage heaters, not to mention think I'm a pub over ten miles away (but that's another story). I can also provide kettle test readings and my heater reading tests if required.

The whole affair is currently under investigation by the ombudsman; however, between EON and them, I've yet to hear anything, and I'm attempting to gain some knowledge into this complete debacle. Though in truth, I'm learning that between NPower and some unknown electrician, I've been provided with less than a sub-standard service. Not a great referral for the profession, though to be fair, you are looking at 30 and possibly 15-year-old practices in those images.

I have no idea what any of the units in the cabinet do - well, other than the obvious. I don't know how it knows when to switch the heaters on other than that obviously named switch/trigger for example?

Most important question about your EON bills - do you check the readings on the bills to your smart meter?
That, to be fair, is going to be another thread altogether. We don't have a smart meter. The heating meter stopped working in April 2021. They fixed it just as NPower and EON merged. I never got a bill from them (not for the lack of trying on my part) until April 2023. That bill ran from April 2022 until April 2023.

I've been trying to get hold of them since 2021. I've been sending them meter reading on and off the whole time. Our usual costs ranged between £4000/£5000 per year. The April 2023 bill was for £14,500. Obviously, I complained - how can I go from spending £4500/year to £14,500/year? I've spent the last good few months sending them meter readings with kettle tests to see which reading was which. They got that wrong as they had read my day meter as my night meter and the heating meter as the day meter - the other two meter readings they have not bothered with., And their starting meter readings were wrong. I eventually found out that they didn't think I had any heating at the property, so I wasn't getting the correct rates. I've been telling them this since April 2023, but they don't listen, will not come out and check the meter or the wiring, or do anything at all. I've sent them pictures, video, several kettle tests and a heating on/off test. All to no avail. Since their debt collection computer started ringing me twice a day for two weeks, I said I'll sent them my meter readings daily - which I did. Did they update their system - no.

As you'll know, dealing with EON is really productive time to spend. Getting nowhere, I complained to the ombudsman, and they've taken it on. EON's evidence, in that case, reports me as a pub some 10 miles away at a completely different address, a pub which folded recently due to its electric bill, funnily enough.

To answer your question, yes. But getting EON to read my emails and update their system is an altogether different story. I thought I was alone until that fellow was in the Guardian the other day :)

Obviously, I complained - how can I go from spending £4500/year to £14,500/year?
You know what has happened to electricity prices since the war in the Ukraine? My electric bill has tripled in the same time frame, so I suspect this is absolutely correct.

You know what has happened to electricity prices since the war in the Ukraine? My electric bill has tripled in the same time frame, so I suspect this is absolutely correct.
But that only occurred around Oct last year as far as I know, not April 2022. I appreciate that issue but I'd like to resolve the meter readings and be confident it is recording the usage correctly and my heating is correctly priced first. After that I'll send my bill to Putin 🤔

I'd also question the tripling effect. Doubled maybe but I don't think there was a 300% increase, though I've not looked into that to be fair.

Going on their billing Apr 22 to Oct 22 they used around 31p/unit. From Oct 22 to Jan 23 they used around 58p/unit. From Jan 23 to Apr 23 they used 76p/unit and have remained at around the 50/60p per unit. So at best the cost has doubled but only since Oct 22. My bill has effectively gone from been say £4500/year to £4500/quarter., However that's not exactly true as they discounted those prices with the Gov' thing, so they for example charged me 76p Jan23-Apr23 but deducted 32p/unit.

With the help here I'm learning a lot and due to the other metering system I always assumed the heating switched on and off and nothing could be on that circuit that would not also switch on and off, but this new setup I'm not sure that is how it works, though the socket is still under test to see.

Latest posts