Electric storage heaters usage when switched off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they think you are a business, there was no protection from the jump in energy prices. Business rates were uncapped.
No, we are domestic though put some down against the business. My biils have the Gov' price limits. No EON are well confused and my attention to detail simply doesn't get them to investigate. God help those that don't fight against the oppression, as detailed in the Guardian article with EON and some old fellow the other day.

Did turning off the extra socket reduce the over night usage?

You need to take weekly reading so you get a handle on what your usage is...

Last edited:
I check the same time each day. 10am but didn't switch it off until later yesterday so will not fully know until 10am tomorrow for an exact figure really.

If it does account for my 4kwh reading then technically that would be good once EON sort out which reading and price but lawfully it's on the wrong meter reading.

How do you work that out?

Who ever connected the socket did it that way, not the supplier or the DNO
Like you say the supplier didn't do it, a electrician did. If the socket is thus recording to a heavily discounted heating tariff then it would be an abuse, in my part really, I'm guessing, as it is really only for heating. Granted the law has nothing to do with it. However the socket has always worked when there were two meters and it could not have done if it was wired to the heating meter of old, as the day rate on the heating circuit never moved. Since the new meter was put in EON put the heating trigger in system. Saying that the day reading for the heating also doesn't move much at all. 1kwh every few months maybe.

Again I'm not a electrician so can only go on my meter movements.

No, we are domestic though put some down against the business. My biils have the Gov' price limits. No EON are well confused and my attention to detail simply doesn't get them to investigate. God help those that don't fight against the oppression, as detailed in the Guardian article with EON and some old fellow the other day.
So is your house especially large?

What I'm thinking is that you could probably run quite happily on a single phase, unless you have a high load somewhere. That in turn would mean you could redo all those old messy boards and dodgy looking meter tail arrangements. That in turn means you could have a single phase meter, dual tariff, so cheap off peak available for overnight heating.

So is your house especially large?

What I'm thinking is that you could probably run quite happily on a single phase, unless you have a high load somewhere. That in turn would mean you could redo all those old messy boards and dodgy looking meter tail arrangements. That in turn means you could have a single phase meter, dual tariff, so cheap off peak available for overnight heating.
Not particularly large. 3 bedroom, however on its own in the middle of nowhere. I have no idea why they needed to bring in a new line for the heaters, I assume because the single phase wasn't enough. Again it was done in 1993 by the looks of it. They fitted a 10kw shower, which may have had something to do with it. Heaters are 3 x 1kw, 3 x 2.4kw, 1 x 3kw and a 8/10Kw shower.

I was on an old tariff which gave more time for the heaters, so I had an off-peak cheap rate for the heaters. Of course, this meant day rates were crap. Technically not my property so changing the heating system is not an option currently. Another story.

Read the meter this morning, and the heating clocked up 5kwh (usually 4), and I switched the external socket off later yesterday afternoon, so it appears the socket isn't connected to the heating meter. The plot thickens. I'll know for sure tomorrow when the socket has been off for 24 hours.

Sparky booked to come in a day or so. I'll discuss cleaning up the system as well with him. He's the same one who we got to check our trips going off, and he detected a 400v reverse/earth flow (I don't know the technical term). We thus contacted the emergency power lot who found the fault and mentioned the earthing situation; however, he declared it functional as the reverse flow was earthing 400v through the ground, so he said technically, the earthing system was fully operational. The above-mentioned sparky has never done anything on our system, only gave a brief weekend review of our issue and didn't want to touch a 400v earth issue without the power company checking it first.

"not my property"

Are you renting?
Not renting. Complicated. We will get it sorted, but due to this and that issue, none of us want to spend many £££ putting in oil heating when the actual ownership of the property is not yet fully vested in the person who pays that particular bill.

Not particularly large. 3 bedroom, however on its own in the middle of nowhere. I have no idea why they needed to bring in a new line for the heaters, I assume because the single phase wasn't enough. Again it was done in 1993 by the looks of it. They fitted a 10kw shower, which may have had something to do with it. Heaters are 3 x 1kw, 3 x 2.4kw, 1 x 3kw and a 8/10Kw shower.

I was on an old tariff which gave more time for the heaters, so I had an off-peak cheap rate for the heaters. Of course, this meant day rates were crap. Technically not my property so changing the heating system is not an option currently. Another story.
A 100amp single phase should be fine. That gives you 20kw, and it's unlikely you will be using the shower during off peak times. Might be worth keeping 2 boards, joined to the incoming supply at the meter tail blocks, just to spread the load across two boards - a bit of belt and braces. Something like this

Attachments

• 16910603153878620961757901330012.jpg
    16910603153878620961757901330012.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
he detected a 400v reverse/earth flow
I did not think that was possible ( UK supply 230/400V) 400V between phases and 230 phase and earth, so the max earth fault would be 230V, unless the earth became connected to one phase and at the same time disconnected from the rod in the ground ?

I did not think that was possible ( UK supply 230/400V) 400V between phases and 230 phase and earth, so the max earth fault would be 230V, unless the earth became connected to one phase and at the same time disconnected from the rod in the ground ?
Good point. I'll query this, though we are going on memory, as I'm sure they both said 400v. A pump on that socket had had an issue. Nothing tripped because as you lot have said it doesn't have an RCD.

Well had 24 hours with the socket and heaters switched off as per the trips pictured. No difference and appears to be consuming 4 units in 24 hours. I do not know whether these 4 units get added to the first meter readings, which occurs when I switch the heating on, I do not know.

My general readings daily are 12, 4, and 8 (Day, heating, night). When I did a heating test with everything as normal we got 32, 24, 9. I would hazard a guess and say the 4 units seen daily possibly don't get added to the first reading and could be a standing charge type of affair, as the 20 point increase due to heating exactly equates to the first meters daily usage increase over the normally seen 12. I also think I'm already paying a standing charge on the bill.

I also note we assumed a heavy usage day within this 24 period above however, it had zero effect on the meters. Showers and loads of washing cycles. Electrician coming next week.

I'll attempt to monitor it. Between the reading this morning at 10am and now 12.40pm it has moved 1 unit on the day rate, 0 on the heating and 1 on the night rate.
Our heating comes on late in the afternoon and during the early hours, I think.

Are the 4 units just being added over night?

Could be just background usage during the E7 time
As of 2pm all three meters have increased by a further 1 unit each, and the ECH1L Heating Contactor is running warm. So if we assume 10am was ground zero, the meter read at 12:40 with an increase of 1,0,1 and at 2pm they increased an additional 1,1,1. My assumption based on tests is day, heating, night and a fourth reading of heating off, which moves very rarely.

in your photo there is only one meter connected to your head, a poly phase, day/night rate
Well, there used to be two meters. The heating meter broke and Npower came to repair it and replaced both meters with this single one, which the engineer said would provide the four readings I had before - I specifically asked him about it - thus stems this whole debacle. EON can't fathom where my heating tariff has gone either. And this is my problem because? Only joking, though the joke is on me. It is a shower, and I'm supposed to figure it out. Not only that, I'm a pub ten miles away :) Old meters that were replaced if it is of any interest.

Attachments

• Old_Meter.JPG
    Old_Meter.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0