Diy Curing Oven Electrics? Need Some Guidance Please.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Andy,

Firstly thanks for posting up those pics, visual aids are always a plus. Secondly can I adopt you please  :Salute

Wow now that is one serious home made curing oven. It has also given me a idea of how I might integrate a fan into my build. What's in the box is my next question?

I guess what I would like from all you nice people is how exactly i need to wiring this up? 

I will be offline for a couple of days as I have work conference today and tomorrow is the Wife's birthday but I will be here again on Saturday with a re-giged list and i hope that you will all be kind enough to help fill in the blanks. 

control wiring is in the box. its mostly air though...

supply comes in and goes to contactor & power switch, which supplies fan & thermostat. stat then switches contactor on/off with the 3 elements connected to it

So I thought I was making progress with getting my head around the setup that i needed before actually committing to buying all the parts. Then I googled imaged (wiring diagram of a pid controlled oven element) and i think i have made matters worse in terms of how to wire this oven.

Discounting all the results with 115v related drawings. diagrams and schematics I have been left with a few that are viable as a starting point but now I'm not sure if I should use a 240v 4 pole 20amp contactor or stick with the 40amp SSR or do i use both as I have seen done in some of the wiring setups I have come across?

Taking into account some of the good points that Sidewinder made - I want to use 16amp* double pole 4 pin rocker switches x 2, one to turn on/off the heating element and another to be be able to turn on/off the fan that has now found its way into the build.

Is the 16amp switch that i mentioned too high a rating given that I would be using a domestic 13amp fused plug and lead to power the unit. should it be say 10amps instead?

I'm just gonna ask. Is there anyone on here feeling charitable and would be willing to draw up the correct wiring diagram for what I'm proposing. Please and Thank you

wiring is fairly straight forward. supply coming n through 20a switch. output feeds fan & thermostat which supplies element. providing total load is under 13a, then no problems putting it on a normal 13a plug. if your still stuck ill draw a diagram later when i get time

Just a quick look, and not definitive.

I'd switch the PID controller supply as well as fuse it.

I'd fuse the fan supply also.

I'm guessing this is on a 13A plug?

I would personally fuse the whole thing at the ingoing point @ 13A.