DIY strikes again

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

says-les

Reaction score
Inspection of a domestic kitchen showed that two twin 13A sockets were spurred off the cooker outlet. Cooker exists fed from cooker outlet as well.
What C rating do you give?
What to say/report to customer?

What’s the rating of the oven?

do the sums and see what you think, but I suspect it’s only worthy of a comment on the EICR

What size of cable are the socket outlets wired in and what is the rating of the protective device.

Inspection of a domestic kitchen showed that two twin 13A sockets were spurred off the cooker outlet. Cooker exists fed from cooker outlet as well.
What C rating do you give?
What to say/report to customer?

I could be barking up the wrong tree here....
But I guess you will get far more response if your question was worded something like..

"Do you think I would be correct giving this code because of these cable types, installation methods, protective devices and these applicable wiring regulations etc.."

Rather than just asking someone to tell you what you should give and write on a report about an installation that they have not seen.
IMHO it's like some of the posts on here with people basically wanting a homework answering service!

If you are unable to put forward an initial opinion with some suitable reasoning....
Then possibly you need to go back and top-up your studies and/or qualifications at bit more?

I do know of several members on here who are unlikely to spend much of their personal unpaid time passing on their knowledge,
answering questions to people who have made minimal effort themselves to consider the possible answers....
Especially when the person asking should have some level of competence, as they are not a DIY'er..?

What code do you think?
And why?

It isn't a fail as such but may render the Report unsatisfactory. You still need to provide further information as to protective device and cable size.

To me it is a fail since it is abnormal practice.
Not necessarily, just because it's not common practice doesn't make it a fail.

Most cooker ccts are 32A, as are most ring mains. You wouldn't consider spurring off a ring main to be a problem, so why is spurring off the cooker cct a problem. The important bit is not potential overloading of the cct, but whether the cables are properly protected should such an event occur.

With your reply in mind, a spur from a ring should only feed one single or twin 13Amp socket. There are two in this case, but no matter how you argue, it is a dedicated cooker final circuit, and I observed it while investigating why the lower oven was not heating. I was NOT doing an inspection.
It is standard practice with good reason - potential overloading.
If you insist on cable sizes - 4 sqmm cable used throughout and cooker has four rings and double oven.

With your reply in mind, a spur from a ring should only feed one single or twin 13Amp socket. There are two in this case, but no matter how you argue, it is a dedicated cooker final circuit, and I observed it while investigating why the lower oven was not heating. I was NOT doing an inspection.
It is standard practice with good reason - potential overloading.
If you insist on cable sizes - 4 sqmm cable used throughout and cooker has four rings and double oven.
spur off spur, or two sockets connected at the same point?

you can potentially overload a ring main if you plug enough electric heaters in. Now, don't get me wrong, it is not good practice in my opinion, but not liking something is different to being electrically dangerous, and if this has been like that for many years and not caused any problems for the owner, or showing any signs of thermal damage / burning of cable or terminals, is it really a problem?

So what size is the protective device if 32A that should be okay if the cable is in a masonry wall but not if in trunking.

Jeez... you'd have loads of fun at the job I'm doing at the moment
2 x gas cookers
2 x electric cookers
2 x gas ovens
6 x electric ovens
15 x microwaves fed from 2 voltage/frequency regulators... I'm wiring for 3

Then there's the usual sockets & lights

The place was on a 100A SP supply,,,,,, they're getting a 100A 3PH supply put in

To me it is a fail since it is abnormal practice.
then you are simply an incompetent cowboy. just because its not the norm doesn't mean its wrong. you need to think of why it was done that way, and whether it complies or not. in many cases where something is not the 'normal' way, its perfectly fine and compliant. if you want to 'fail' it, then whats bad enough about it that its likely to give rise to danger?

If its all wired in 4mm and protected by a 32a mcb then it's OK. The sockets are not spurs they are part of a radial circuit.

Yes, Christmas day when the cooker is on full load and then someone boils a kettle plugged into one of the sockets it may trip, but this is nuisance tripping not fault tripping.

It's worth a note on the cert, but if the cable is protected by the correct rated device then its not a safety issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.