Do I need this work certified?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc,  I keep wondering  , with all this notify /not notify  /  do it in England but not in Wales and forget all about it in Scotland business .

No one keeps records of our certs other than the householder .......  do the LBC  offices actually keep records of every single electrical job  , done every week in , say , here in Birmingham .     Must be a huge data base .     Because I was told at the start of Part Pee that  the LBC   had no way of recording the  data flooding in and were deleting it .

part p notifications contain very little info, address, work done, date, person doing work & a few other. would take up very little space

Doc,  I keep wondering  , with all this notify /not notify  /  do it in England but not in Wales and forget all about it in Scotland business .

No one keeps records of our certs other than the householder .......  do the LBC  offices actually keep records of every single electrical job  , done every week in , say , here in Birmingham .     Must be a huge data base .     Because I was told at the start of Part Pee that  the LBC   had no way of recording the  data flooding in and were deleting it . 

Not sure about house insurance  but whatever you do ...don't  bolt anything to your vehicle  that alters the original specification for that vehicle  because there'll be a clause  letting them off the hook .

Bit like us with  Trade Insurance ...don't mention a gas torch  or soldering iron  ...it doubles it straightaway . 

Look at Stepps  with  that  Ford Thunderbird   V12   8 ltr    fuel injected  , turbo charged engine in his Morris Minor  Traveller  .....found he wasn't insured  because he had the windscreen  blacked out & couldn't see a damn thing  .  :C :innocent
Ahh, motor insurance, I remember when I had my landrover, I used it for work and needed some warning lights fitted, so I decided to go the whole hog and make it a bit of a showpiece.

I installed flashing strobes in the front grill, a full width flashing beacon bar on top, strobes in the rear window, and below the bumper, added to this was hi visibility striping along both sides, the bonnet, and chevrons on the rear. It also carried traffic cones, a large fire extinguisher, and a large first aid kit.

I insured it and was asked about any modifications, as these may affect the premium, or if undisclosed, the ability to make a claim, Non standard alloys, tow bar, in car entertainment systems, etc could all bump up the premium.

I replied that I had made mods but nothing such as they had listed, I provided them with a list of the mods I had carried out, explaining that the vehicle was now more visible than it was before, and in the event it was stopped roadside, it was impossible to miss, due to the number of warning lights fitted.

To put it bluntly it resembled a police vehicle, the only difference being, that, where they used red and blue lights, I used red and amber, it was all done in accordance with the various regs in force and was very noticeable, surely with all these safety features, it must qualify for a reduction in the insurance?

"I'm very sorry sir, we don't bother with things that may reduce premiums, only things that could increase them". was the reply from the insurer!

Ok, thanks to all, and especially Doc, for all the advice. Looks like I'll be going ahead and fitting the additional socket myself (safely, within the regs, honest!).

Of course if I accidentally hit an existing cable, making me jump back into the path of my wife carrying the shopping, who then trips over, falling onto the hose pipe draining the central heating, which then comes loose and floods the house, I may have wished I'd stuck with the extension lead! :) :facepalm:

Ok, thanks to all, and especially Doc, for all the advice. Looks like I'll be going ahead and fitting the additional socket myself (safely, within the regs, honest!).

Of course if I accidentally hit an existing cable, making me jump back into the path of my wife carrying the shopping, who then trips over, falling onto the hose pipe draining the central heating, which then comes loose and floods the house, I may have wished I'd stuck with the extension lead! :) :facepalm:
That will be because you didn't fully isolate the mains, lock it off, fit a warning sign, then erect a warning sign outside the front door, to warn anyone entering that there was work being carried out, also you should have been wearing a hi viz jacket to make yourself more visible when lying injured on the floor, you have only yourself to blame. lol

Electronic data storage is relatively cheap and getting bigger and cheaper year on year. To hold a few lines of data saying a new fuse box was notified at an address by a certain contractor is going to be far less than the data required for planning & building applications and all the relevant associated plans & drawings etc. Yet LABC's seem quite able to store all of these applications, current and quite a lot of historic records as well for all of the properties in their borough. It is after all only a simple fixed record that a notification has been made by a contractor on a certain date that a specific type was work was completed. Once stored it will not need to be updated or changed, or trawled for advertising promotions. I really can't see why they cannot store it without to much difficulty. When compared to what all of the supermarkets store with our loyalty cards recording our shopping habits. or what the banks have to keep with all of our account transactions. I would think a few Part-P notifications is a relatively small database by comparison. Its not like they are recording bucket loads of hi-resolution photographs or a vast audio or video archive. Textual records are very small and easy to store .

Doc H.         
Thanks for that Doc  & Andy   .   Yes I see that now ,  just one line of text  .   I was also thinking of the certs themselves  which  have ref; numbers on them  , they will be tracable through the NIC records.      I was thinking of a computer the size of the Empire State Building  holding records of board changes for the next 1000 yrs .

i assume you had permission from secretary of the state for the flashing red? even highways agency have to for their vehicles to have flashing red
Believe it or not, under current lighting regs for vehicles, the only light I am not allowed to use is flashing green! Red is not covered by many restrictions, the main one being that it can only face rearward, even blue can be used in the correct circumstances. There is an official list of vehicles which may have blu lights fitted, and it's bigger than you would think, however that covers lights that are blue even when not lit, i.e blue lenses. A light that is clear when not lit, but emits blue light can be fitted to any vehicle, it's how you use it that counts. When I was with the incident support team I had these fitted to one of my  own vehicles in case I needed to use it for the job (we ran on their insurance) it was approved by the local traffic division, on a couple of occasions while off duty I came across RTC's and used the blues while parked roadside, I never had any issue with the police.

One time I was with a traffic cop and we were "playing" with each others cars, his only comment on the blue lights was, "I hope you don't use them to get to Maccy's". If used for the right reasons the police don't bother, used to warn at an RTC, or other incident, they are fine, safety comes first.Plus being trained to drive on blue lights, there isn't really an issue, although it would have to be an extreme set of circumstances these days, such as a major medical emergency where it would be quicker and more likely to save the casualty for me to drive to the hospital rather than wait for the ambo.

I used to be well known around the area, the local cops actually said that if they saw the vehicle being driven by anyone other than me they'd pull it, a lone cop at an RTC would often look relieved if I arrived on scene, at one incident the only traffic cop available was on a motorbike, everyone else was tied up with incidents, I was passing the incident on the main road through our village, it was chaos. I pulled over, switched the lights on and proceeded to close one lane, then went on point duty directing traffic while he dealt with the injured. The cheeky ****** left me with the brushing up after recovery had left, as he had another "emergency" to deal with, a local resident had turned up with cups of coffee.

I've dealt with a few incidents round here over the years, the funniest one was when an elderly gent got knocked of his pedal cycle, he kept several large German Shepherds loose in his garden, "go on, you're good with dogs, you go inform his wife" said the cop. I opened the gate and went in without any hassle, only suffering a few wet licks and a coating of dog hairs.

Here's a pic taken from the dashcam at one incident I attended, it was on a lane outside the farm I used to work at.

helimed (800x600).jpg