domestic data points?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im going to have to have a good read through this thread, seems to be lots of good info here for me to go through,

outside cat5 is basically a run from living room to conservatory, 2feet up and round back of house,15m.

same place I need switch for, trying to get householder off WIFI since I showed him my (ancient)laptop cracking his password in under 3hours.

he is a self employed consultant that does some fairly important stuff on his network.

could I assume then that except for UV normal cat5e is fine for outside?

Sorry to be picky but a switch operates at layer2 of the OSI model and forwards frames a router operates at layer three and forwards packets. ;)
Didn't want to point that out or that its not like a 4 gang as thats more like a hub than a switch.

Im going to have to have a good read through this thread, seems to be lots of good info here for me to go through,outside cat5 is basically a run from living room to conservatory, 2feet up and round back of house,15m.

same place I need switch for, trying to get householder off WIFI since I showed him my (ancient)laptop cracking his password in under 3hours.

he is a self employed consultant that does some fairly important stuff on his network.

Cat5e is fine for outside although if security is a concern it's maybe not a good idea as it would be easy to physically connect to the householders network from outside.

Rather than running cable I'm a big fan of Ethernet over power. They work a treat and are portable.

http://www.devolo.co.uk

I have two lines running under my garden in a gas pipe no problems.
Rough.

That's basically the gist of it.

Didn't want to point that out or that its not like a 4 gang as thats more like a hub than a switch.
The packet\frame thing fair enough, I haven;t committed the OSI model to memory as yet, but the 4 gang reference was an overly simplistic metaphor for the layman. I did think as I was typing it someone is going to start ripping this to pieces! ;)

The packet\frame thing fair enough, I haven;t committed the OSI model to memory as yet, but the 4 gang reference was an overly simplistic metaphor for the layman. I did think as I was typing it someone is going to start ripping this to pieces! ;)
Think I said I didn't want to point it out ;) .

does that really make that much difference to simple home installs?

Cat5e is fine for outside although if security is a concern it's maybe not a good idea as it would be easy to physically connect to the householders network from outside.no probs about physical interference.

Rather than running cable I'm a big fan of Ethernet over power. They work a treat and are portable.

not so sure I agree.

Rough.That's basically the gist of it.

good

The packet\frame thing fair enough, I haven;t committed the OSI model to memory as yet, but the 4 gang reference was an overly simplistic metaphor for the layman. done for me, am I over simplistic.? I did think as I was typing it someone is going to start ripping this to pieces! ;)
Think I said I didn't want to point it out ;) .
thanks guys, please dont fall out,

Im the one supposed to start sh*t

does that really make that much difference to simple home installs?
Not really, but you'd be hard pushed to find a hub these days anyway so moot point to some extent.

thanks guys, please dont fall out,Im the one supposed to start sh*t
No falling out here, things are usually discussed till page counts hit double figures then the falling out starts. ;)

Cat5e is fine for outside although if security is a concern it's maybe not a good idea as it would be easy to physically connect to the householders network from outside.no probs about physical interference.

not so sure I agree.
Nor me. We have enough garbage on the power from badly designed equipment as it is, without deliberately introducing more. And if anyone really has concerns about somebody being able to physically tap a hardwired interface, then "Ethernet over Power" isn't fantastically secure either considering how the data is being delivered.

Nor me. We have enough garbage on the power from badly designed equipment as it is, without deliberately introducing more. And if anyone really has concerns about somebody being able to physically tap a hardwired interface, then "Ethernet over Power" isn't fantastically secure either considering how the data is being delivered.
I like them due to their "plug and play" nature also most offer strong encryption between each module so its a pretty secure solution. :D

Using normal cat 5 cable externally is bad practice. Although your circuit will work it is not designed to withstand external environments (weather, temp changes etc) therefore vastly reducing its life.

However it is common practice to install internal grade cable in conduit or galv trunking outside.

Got this from cable monkey:

CCS Enhanced Category 5 Solid External cable is the ideal solution if you have to run your cable from building to building.

Suitable for use with Catenarys, in ducts or on the side of buildings.

With excellence performance records, this cable exceeds TIA/EIA Enhanced Category 5 specifications.

- Available in 100 metre , 305 & 500 metre reels

The only difference between CAT5 & CAT5e cable is the test (4 point for CAT5 and 13 point for CAT5e) so go with the cheaper CAT5 option.