domestic data points?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was on site this week, where the customer had armoured Cat5/6 had not realised it existed, but does make sense

Tuppeny halfpeny worth, fit cat6 cable and future proof installation. I've been re-wiring my neighbours house, both of which are computer fanatics and basically we istalled hub switches on each floor and ditributed to each point from these. The switches being linked by a single cable, and eventually back to BT incoming point. Don't forget ADSL filter (built into telephone socket) at this point to prvent broadband interference on telephones. This was fitted directly above master BT point. Hope that helps.

Using normal cat 5 cable externally is bad practice. Although your circuit will work it is not designed to withstand external environments (weather, temp changes etc) therefore vastly reducing its life.However it is common practice to install internal grade cable in conduit or galv trunking outside.

Got this from cable monkey:

CCS Enhanced Category 5 Solid External cable is the ideal solution if you have to run your cable from building to building.

Suitable for use with Catenarys, in ducts or on the side of buildings.

With excellence performance records, this cable exceeds TIA/EIA Enhanced Category 5 specifications.

- Available in 100 metre , 305 & 500 metre reels

The only difference between CAT5 & CAT5e cable is the test (4 point for CAT5 and 13 point for CAT5e) so go with the cheaper CAT5 option.
do you have a link Rod?

though TBH Id go for the 5e variant, see below

Tuppeny halfpeny worth, fit cat6 cable and future proof installation. I've been re-wiring my neighbours house, both of which are computer fanatics and basically we istalled hub switches on each floor and ditributed to each point from these. The switches being linked by a single cable, and eventually back to BT incoming point. Don't forget ADSL filter (built into telephone socket) at this point to prvent broadband interference on telephones. This was fitted directly above master BT point. Hope that helps.
how much can cat 6 actually carry over short distances that 5e cant?

I have done a few jobs and seems unless its a big commercial then 5e is more than adequate.

do you have a link Rod?though TBH Id go for the 5e variant, see below

how much can cat 6 actually carry over short distances that 5e cant?

I have done a few jobs and seems unless its a big commercial then 5e is more than adequate.
External cat 5 is available more so than external bt cable if you put external cat 5e into search engine you get loads coming up link for cable monkey below.

http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/acatalog/Cable_Monkey_Shop__Cat5e_Solid_External_Cable_146.html

The only difference between CAT5 & CAT5e cable is the test (4 point for CAT5 and 13 point for CAT5e) so go with the cheaper CAT5 option.
Unless you want to run 1000BaseT in which case cat5 often fails validation for that speed especially on longer runs.

how much can cat 6 actually carry over short distances that 5e cant?I have done a few jobs and seems unless its a big commercial then 5e is more than adequate.
Interesting point is cat6 is only certified to 250MHz (cat5 is 100MHz) while cat5e is certified to 350MHz. Cat6a though is certified to 500MHz.

Your totaly right in what you say ian I was just thinking of home networks . Depends on what your man wants to run steptoe. If its a Gbps then Cat5e is the way forward and will support this across the short distances within a home netork.

However I still wouldnt use standard internal on an outside wall, as well as other issues ive mentioned, purple cable looks rubbish tacked to a wall and tends to crack open in the weather!!

Sorry I didnt get back to you with a link to cable monkey mate, didnt check the thread:Blushing