Domestic Installer Or Not?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PM me your details. I have a team based in Essex but they work all over the south. I might have some work experience for you if you are interested.

ive just been looking at their site and it doesn't say what is required to join as a domestic installer. They have a Part P scheme which allows you to sign off work. but again, don't say what is needed. Starting to get a bit confusing :(

Essex1 that has put a smile on my face :)

Hello Shaprend, That is something I have done. Its £620 per year, There is 2 years to do on evenings. Think I might be able to skip the first year as I have my certs for this. thing is again, for the tird year you need to be working onsite. by then I will be close to 33 :(  and no one will take me on as a learner then.

What :eek: ......................... you mean to say ................................ me registered as a DI........................means I'm not an electrician :pmsl1:

Better stop doing the commercial stuff I do then :slap

Let's not beat about the bush. This DI route to becoming recognised by a scheme has brought in a two tier system for electricians. Yes there are some decent DI electricians just as there are some bad industrial electicians but in any industry if you decide to accept lesser quality qualifications in order to boost your income as a business then that is not on. Even if I did only domestic work I would still apply for full contractor status to make it clear what customers are getting when they use me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's not beat about the bush. This DI route to becoming recognised by a scheme has brought in a two tier system for electricians. Yes there are some decent DI electricians just as there are some bad industrial electicians but in any industry if you decide to accept lesser quality qualifications in order to boost your income as a business then that is not on. Even if I did only domestic work I would still apply for full contractor status to make it clear what customers are getting when they use me.
but since there is no need to be registered with anyone for commercial, then why go to the extra hassle of AC when DI will do. elecsa only really have the DI equivalent, but even if they didnt, id only be registered enough to notify part p work, thats all i need from any of the scams

Why,?

The NICEIC has turned out to be the biggest scam of them all 

They are probably the ones that started off all the downgrading by bringing in the DI thing in the first place. 

just had to wait 15 minutes to get back on the site? kept saying unable to connected. only to this site. Happen to anyone else?

Yep, and that's probably why most people that actually understand it laugh at DIs calling themselves electricians, even the NICEIC won't call them that, merely installers, in fact, the NICEIC refuse to call any of their members competent, they merely state they have met THEIR requirements for membership. 

Which is how it should be. IMO only the JIB have it right with what makes an electrician competent.

Haha ok cheers. I don't have that bookface thing either  :) The wife wouldnt be too happy lol. It causes divorces.

an if you get de-scoobed the reputation number goes down?

Which is how it should be. IMO only the JIB have it right with what makes an electrician competent.
the JIB are as bad as the rest nowadays,

i was told many moons again when I was leaving the UK part way through my apprenticeship that I would NEVER EVER work in the UK as a spark again,

guess what?

after being back in the uk after a lot of years, the JIB offered me a card, as long as I would pay them X amount of money,,,,  :slap

WTF  ???!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!?

the unions are dead, long ago, and the closed shop of the JIB died along with them, as it deserved to,

the 'new' JIB which the niceic sees itself as, will die a deathy too as soon as everyone catches on that anyone with a cleared cheque can join, its no better than checkatrade/ratedpeople/scamsareus,  in fairness, other ways of conning the public are available.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts