Domestic Smoke Alarm Testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well not exactly, but i couldn't think of a title.

Now i should know the answers to this but am interested in opinions.

I have to test & issue a cert (not sure which until i have done the test) for some mains powered battery back up smokes. One on each of the 3 floors & a heat in the kitchen. This is for a HMO license. My views are this is not correct but i have had confirmation from the owner the council has viewed the property and has accepted this system but made the owner put battery powered smokes in each room (had to have 10 year guarantee lithium batterys)

The various certs, as there are a few i could use such as the verification or acceptance or commissioning are very 'simple'

What is there to test. BS certs have been done. i doupt this type of alarm will give 75db at the bedheads. Do you check sound levels ? I will check the operation and interlinks on them but this is the first time i have ever been asked to certify this type which i would class as a L4. Dont ask why the installer did not do this. I think the house was a dwelling and the HMO licence is now being applied for.

I eagerly await your replies

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you PM me with the starred out words please so i can check the bad word filter

Put spaces between the letter

How long have these been installed? There was a phase not too long ago whereby certain reguirements could be postponed providing that 10 year battery packs were fitted to additional detectors.

Sound levels should be tested as should individual detector operation and of course interlink.

Yes I have had the council asking for it this way. I don't really agree with it though.

For my installation I installed all mains interlinked smokes but only interlinked the landings, kitchen and hallway. So I just issued a BS5839-6 cert

Not sure what you issue for a battery powered smoke?

Now lets say you have installed Aico detectors.

So long as they are installed (and tested) in accordance with the manufacturers instructions then you can certify them as such. Just make sure that you note on the cert that they have been tested IAW manufacturers instructions though.

I know for a fact that Aico say to test only using the "Test" button

I did not know that Noz, the test button. One problem that I foresee in this HMO is the fact that like slips has said I doubt 75 decibels will be recorded in the rooms.

IIRC they say so long as they are <3.5m from a bedroom door then the dB level will be ok

Don't know how that would stand for a HMO though,, I would have thought that it should have a "proper" system though

I have not been to the properties yet (there are 2, 6 doors apart) but i did ask about how far the detectors were from any bedrooms and have been told less than 3.5 m. I will test with smoke and heat though. Even though i dont think its needed i will also do a sound pressure test in some of the rooms.

you can get a can of smoke, hair dryer and db meter for around £30 ;)

you can get a can of smoke, hair dryer and db meter for around £30 ;)
My sound meter cost a lot more than that. I also use a hairdrier as i am impatient and many years back i melted some heat detectors with a heat gun, the hairdrier is a bit more gentle

I have just found one answer. Clause 13.1.2 states (in my words) that with this sort of alarm you should get 85db at 3m and a typical fire door will drop this by 20db. A typical reading will be around 55db at the bedhead & they have found no evidence of lives being lost due to this.

Its like being back in college !

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose that will cover all aspects.

Is a log book nessesary with a grade D-L3 system ?

BS5839 states this sort of domestic alarm should have a means of silencing an alarm from standing at ground level, the hush button on the detector is not adequate. Who fits these hush switches on domestic jobs ?

I suppose that will cover all aspects.

Is a log book nessesary with a grade D-L3 system ?

BS5839 states this sort of domestic alarm should have a means of silencing an alarm from standing at ground level, the hush button on the detector is not adequate. Who fits these hush switches on domestic jobs ?
I have on one job only....

The ceilings were really high (at least 3.5m) and I'd used the Aico RF bases

Aico also do a combined test/hush/locate for the wired systems - looks the same as the RF one, but takes a 3+E from any point in the circuit :)
But have you ever fitted one ? I have only ever seen them fitted to one job. Its BS5839, not a building reg so they should be fitted to every domestic wired alarm or does a broomhandle count as being able to hush the alarm standing at ground level ; \ ; \ ; \

Latest posts