Door entry system.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just collected a door entry system for a job next week .  The one kit will do all I need .  Also supplied is a metal box, the size of a 13th  3rd ammendment consumer unit, inside is a  power supply unit  and battery charger , 12V output which I don't need . 

I do know that there was some confusion at supplier because I mentioned it was for a wheelchair bound person and immediately some sort of disabled regs were being discussed. 

Anyone come across this , where there is a seperate , battery back-up unit for releasing the lock . 

I see that if theres a power cut the wheelchair guy won't be able to open the door  but theres a keysafe outside .   I didn't ask for this PSU as the basic kit does all I need .

Do I need to obey these regulations , costing him extra cash , will the disabled police be knocking ?

Last edited by a moderator:
No disabled police out there, even if there was they would be wearing sandals and be called something like twig, or tree and be paid a rediculus amount of money for doing courgette all.

Not sure what regulations apply?  more common sense than anything, done loads of these for disabled people without an override in fact I didn't think such a thing even existed and what if the battery went flat, do you have to service it every year?

I could be totally wrong but that's the way I see it. you can only do what you can and a pragmatic approach to problem solving helps a great deal, better than rules and regulations written by a lawyer who's never been out in the real world!

:)

Cheers  Ducky,

I just looked more closely and noticed the PSU  is 12V dc   ...speech & lock units  are 12V ac . 

What happened , I ordered it last week , wholesalers use various suppliers of these things , first call was for something costing £1000,000  , second call went into all these complications about regulations , back up systems , fail safe etc etc .    another million quid , so he says leave it with me I'll phone so & so . 

I've done loads of these also and never fitted a battery back -up PSU , even has lid tamper & volt free contacts for connection to alarms.     As you say , don't need it.

hmmm.

I usually order a bellsystems 801 kit, costs around £70 depending on what else is needed.

maybe there's some new regs out there but nobody told us?

Could be part M of the building regs but that would only apply to new builds/installations; I know there was some actual consideration of elderly and disabled people when it was revamped recently.

Ad for the AC/DC, maybe it was a cost thing?

:C

He's got me a basic system  ..... Pulsar   by Tonna Security , but the dc output is no good , its a mix up ,  knowing them it may even be another customer's .   And its the law that ALL door entry systems are Italian or French.     Often do the Entryphone  with the screen.

I'm not bothered obout so much about rules & regs any more ,  guy needs a basic  door release ,  just lost his missus,  can't get up on his own so he'll be sorted. 

Sue me ...I'm a DIY man ...I know nothing !

One place I worked at , "the gardener usually does our electrics but he doesn't fancy changing the fuseboard"

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looked up Tonna, very flash. I'm used to cheap plastic things with some circuit boards and some wires somehow they feel very very overpriced.

I've never looked into door entry regs? thought it was any ol muppet can do em! bit like lectrics..

I'm sure I've been to a few where the Gardner has actually changed the fuseboard! 

or maybe it was the caretaker? 

:slap