System upgrade

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

Now that I’ve had my system running a couple of months and finally got it producing as it should I’d like to maximise the efficiency of the system.

The battery is fully charged by 12:00 and then I feed back to the grid. By about midnight I run out of battery and then start taking power from the grid until the system starts generating again and the cycle starts over.

My thinking is in order to get me through the night I think I need a second battery. Is this an easy thing to set up and do I have to match the batteries??

Secondly I’m with Octopus Energy and they have an array of different contracts and I’m still not sure which would be best for me.

Anyone out there been through either of these scenarios I would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Malc

Take into account that youre currently enjoying peak season for solar generation, the output of your panels will nose dive in the coming months. You may like to consider operating your current system like I do mine, charging the batteries off peak and then running through peak period on stored energy. Any solar gained in the day time reduces the uptake at night. My usage over the last 18 months 98% has been off peak energy at 7.5p. You need to look at your daily consumption to check you have enough battery storage and your inverter capacity to know if you can cover peak demand.
In terms of tariffs, Octopus Intelligent is what I'm on 7.5p / 29.2p but you have to have a compatible waalbox or EV for that, Octopus GO is another option at 9.5p / 29.2p.