Downlights Tripped

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so what was the problem?

In the thread I said about buying cheap LAP Downlights from SF, We'll after closing inspection the neutrals which were already connected in the connector box's were not terminated properly & had a sleeve over them & it wasn't until I removed the sleeve and bingo.

In the thread I said about buying cheap LAP Downlights from SF, We'll after closing inspection the neutrals which were already connected in the connector box's were not terminated properly & had a sleeve over them & it wasn't until I removed the sleeve and bingo.

But what was the cause of the tripping?

Doc H.

i find it hard to believe that you have 5 out of 8 lights all with the same fault on neutrals not conencted correctly. and as above, a non connected neutral will not cause it to trip, it simply just wont light. so what did you really do?

i find it hard to believe that you have 5 out of 8 lights all with the same fault on neutrals not conencted correctly. and as above, a non connected neutral will not cause it to trip, it simply just wont light. so what did you really do?

Just basically tightening everything back up and making sure terminations were right. Do you recommend another IR test  

for it to trip it needs a lot a power going L-N or L-E (or a little power L-E to trip an RCD). loose connections youve tightened up would not cause it to trip

for it to trip it needs a lot a power going L-N or L-E (or a little power L-E to trip an RCD). loose connections youve tightened up would not cause it to trip

I am not sure then Andy, I already done an IR before fitting the bulbs and tested for continuity and polarity again any other suggestions? 

Just looking for a bit of help. Just finished fitting some Downlights and they have tripped the downstairs, the wiring all look spot on yet when I tried again only 3 of the 8 lights worked.  I have a tester should I test continuity from the switch or would an IR be appropriate.

Thanks.

Re your last post - this is your first post - you can't go changing your mind ................

Re your last post - this is your first post - you can't go changing your mind ................
Listen here fella. I have been polite as much as I can and came to this forum for advice, I have told you everything what I have done, I asked at the start about continuity and IR, I then pulled the bulbs out again and checked the terminations of which a couple were loose and becuase of the really tight connector box in each light I re terminated the ones I felt maybe were maybe not getting a connection.

Today Andy has talked about loose wires not causing tripping so I then replied shall I test for continuity and polarity and IR , and you have decided to tell me about changing my mind. 

Listen here fella. I have been polite as much as I can and came to this forum for advice, I have told you everything what I have done, I asked at the start about continuity and IR, I then pulled the bulbs out again and checked the terminations of which a couple were loose and becuase of the really tight connector box in each light I re terminated the ones I felt maybe were maybe not getting a connection.

Today Andy has talked about loose wires not causing tripping so I then replied shall I test for continuity and polarity and IR , and you have decided to tell me about changing my mind. 

It’s too early in the year to pull bulbs out.

I just hope you’re not charging for this work.

It’s too early in the year to pull bulbs out.

I just hope you’re not charging for this work.

Not sure how you roll Tony but I dont normally bill myself for doing work in my own house. I am trainee looking for advice so no I would never be working on other peoples houses for years to come until I am fully qualified.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on guys Mastbruch has been open and honest with us from his outset, he admits he’s a trainee so let’s offer him some support and remember what comes easy to us may not be so with a trainee, by all means don’t give the game away just give him the tools to play? 

Remember we all started somewhere. 

As a tip for you.... the "teachers" tell us to test and record R1 + R2 , but , and nearly always when I've been installing downlights, as there are so many connections, I usually also test Rn + R2 at the same time, its only a minute of so and proves continuity of ALL conductors ........ obviously this "extra" test is done prior to IR and live testing ...........