Downstairs sockets not working

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadspark

Reaction score
Called in on my way home to a job where sockets were not working on down ring final. Homeowner had just moved in on Friday. Simple job just a faulty MCB tested and replaced and sockets back working. The strange thing is the previous occupant had run extension leads throughout downstairs all run from the cooker socket and had then laid laminate over the extensions cables all to avoid calling out an electrician to fix it. I suggested a full PIR which I shall now be undertaking to find out any other horrors that may be lurking.

Initiative we call it. Faulty circuit, cant fix it, run extension lead form a working circuit. And you don't need part-p for extension leads!

Doc H.

Amazing how many people sell there houses with faulty electrics I had one a few years back with lighting tripping out main RCD had a quick look and two way was wired in tw/e and cpc was being used for commen told the lady it neede rewireing and left the circuit disconnnected she never paid my callout and not even sure if she had it rewired. Why do people pay nearly

I had a customer call me a month ago about an rcd tripping for the kitchen sockets. I told her what to do, ie unplug etc etc and thought no more about it. The husband phoned today to say 'we were resetting it and it would stay on a day or so, but the times got shorter and shorter and now it wont reset at all, so i think its time for you to have a look'. bad day explode

LOL I was asked today by My driving instructor to have a look at why her RCD kept tripping, only took 5 minutes (washing machine fault) but she then didn't charge Me for one of My lessons, there 10 minutes and we even got her a new washing machine on its way to be delivered. I wish all customers were this way.

AndyGuinness

LOL I was asked today by My driving instructor to have a look at why her RCD kept tripping, only took 5 minutes (washing machine fault) but she then didn't charge Me for one of My lessons, there 10 minutes and we even got her a new washing machine on its way to be delivered. I wish all customers were this way.AndyGuinness
i do hope the fault wasnt in the bedroom department andy !!! :^O :^O :^O

:innocent

I had a customer call me a month ago about an rcd tripping for the kitchen sockets. I told her what to do, ie unplug etc etc and thought no more about it. The husband phoned today to say 'we were resetting it and it would stay on a day or so, but the times got shorter and shorter and now it wont reset at all, so i think its time for you to have a look'. bad day explode
I went there today. Found the fault fairly quickly in the kitchen between 3 sockets (so assumed damage below the middle socket ) L-E 0.02 ohm. I was re-energising the circuit just to check there was not a spur off i had missed and found a strange fault. I happened to have a volt stick in my hand, which is quite a good one as it only picks up very close lives ( it can even pick up the live in a twin & earth) but it started buzzing if i went within 400mm of the whole back wall. The wall was a plaster board & wood stud and tiled plus kitchen cabinets. Went into the room behind and had the same 'live wall' result. Asked the owner about any damp problems and she replied there were problems from the bathroom upstairs. When i emptied all the crap out of the base unit near the faulty wiring it was wet inside. All the electrics i could see were dry.

All i could do was wire temporary cable across the kitchen to link out the ring. So much crap in the room it wasn't really noticeable. They recon a new kitchen is needed so it will get sorted then, yeah right.