DPC - Please comment on the BSI site.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah it doesn't show the differences, no vertical lines to the side of new regs. Its a case of reading PDF and checking byb. What a pain.

iirc the lines to show the difference are only between amendments & not editions

This one is worth a comment or two. 

FFS. so we now have to provide the 'multiple' part of the DNO's PME

An interesting snippet, Michigan and Minnesota have rescinded all AFCI requirements due to the erratic / unreliable nature of AFCI’s.

(As the NFPA-NEC is statute law each state has to approve its implementation. They have the right to ignore it and stick to a previous code cycle or chuck out the bits they don’t like.)

Last edited by a moderator:
some of the changes....

all sockets upto 32a must be RCD protected, no omitting an RCD if your risk assessment says so

metallic pipes entering the building do not require earthing if there is a short insulating section

all cables must now be protected against falling in a fire, not just those on escape routes

SELV cables can now be buried without requiring any armour etc

some changes to certs (those who use printed books, best not order any for next year)

and an entire chapter dedicated to energy something or other. lost interest after reading half of page 1...

SELV cables can now be buried without requiring any armour etc

Well, how about PoE everything then. Huge 48V PSU at the CU, wire house as normal, fit every outlet with 1:5 transformers. Bonus of having 240V at all outlets.

Well, how about PoE everything then. Huge 48V PSU at the CU, wire house as normal, fit every outlet with 1:5 transformers. Bonus of having 240V at all outlets.
wrong type of burial. refers to cables buried under ground. basically, DIYers can now buy cheap lights that run on 12v and no worry about non-compliance with regs when they bury that little 2x 0.0000075mm² cable. probably a better marketing oppotunity for manufacturers too, 'oh look, our lights come with a cheaper cable that can now be buried direct'

some of the changes....

all sockets upto 32a must be RCD protected, no omitting an RCD if your risk assessment says so

I must register to comment, but that one is the one thats going to cause most impact I thing because thats going to cause problems for the likes of server rooms! I think we need a get out that non standard or commando sockets can be left without RCD, or have a a proper label that everyone knows means the socket is not for use anywhere else.

Though, I've seen sockets fed from a UPS system which have been engraved with the item of IT equipment supposed to be in each one missued. That came to light when there was a loss of power to the IT because the UPS was overloaded with portable heaters.....

I registered but PC seemed to be struggling .

Are they now saying  ALL  sockets  under  32A  to be RCD'd .   I'd agree with Phoenix about  server rooms , mainframes etc.    Also thinking of the printing trade and I'm sure many other places,  where they work on projects in the Studio , designing layouts etc .  then a stray  peak down the earth cable and the Whole Studio goes off.   

I'm tempted to raise that issue but experience tells me they have made up their minds .....they never consulted the Hoi- Poloi before why did they start now . 

I've not read that myself but for what its worth I'll put my pennyworth in . 

Why can't they just introduce say , red sockets to indicate there is no RCD ,  or will we have the senario of firms saying  OH !  they were installed last year under the previous regs. ?

iirc the lines to show the difference are only between amendments & not editions

FFS. so we now have to provide the 'multiple' part of the DNO's PME
What does that mean exactly  Andy ?   

I have to do stuff but will be back later .

Sidey ....is there anything there we could all object to , in our own ways ....never know , might make 'em think twice . ? 

@Phoenix, have you registered to comment?

I think we need a get out that non standard or commando sockets can be left without RCD, or have a a proper label that everyone knows means the socket is not for use anywhere else.

Or just hard wire cabinets. Our responsibility ends at the outlet plate. Plug whatever you like in to the PDU in the cabinet. My interpretation of it anyway, and as with any other reg, it will be taken multiple ways and everyone will be right and/or wrong and the BSI won't comment.

or will we have the senario of firms saying  OH !  they were installed last year under the previous regs. ?

I still have plenty of old colours 624xY, 6941X, 69xxX, 6181Y...... Could probably do a rewire or 2 in old colours with a couple of outbuildings, and maybe a small factory unit.

What does that mean exactly  Andy ?   

I have to do stuff but will be back later .

Sidey ....is there anything there we could all object to , in our own ways ....never know , might make 'em think twice . ? 

seems as though we now have to install an earth rod regardless of DNO earth or not... presumably so the DNO dont have to mess about putting their own earth rods in...

seems as though we now have to install an earth rod regardless of DNO earth or not... presumably so the DNO dont have to mess about putting their own earth rods in...

TBF I've always said we should be doing this anyway, but I'm not sure why now. Does this mean though that we should treat everything as TT? Can we have submains with no RCD's?

Most electricians haven't got a clue about the changes.

I think most just don't care, they aren't listened to and no-one really checks to see if they are following them anyway. That's my stance anyway.

I got a phone call today, "you haven't re-registered with the scheme this year". Paraphrased my response was "I CBA but I should as I still have loads of work that needs notifying". They just told me the price was still the same so I can just call them when I want to join again. That was it, literally only cared about the subscription costs.

Yes this ensures that compliance with ESQCR does not cost the DNO's anything, that cost is passed on to the householder, and the explanation for the extra cost is passed on to the electrician, so the DNO can swan off into the night making even more £M of profit whilst the house holders of the  UK subsidise this again, regardless of the legal requirements of ESQCR.

I think most just don't care, they aren't listened to and no-one really checks to see if they are following them anyway. That's my stance anyway.

I got a phone call today, "you haven't re-registered with the scheme this year". Paraphrased my response was "I CBA but I should as I still have loads of work that needs notifying". They just told me the price was still the same so I can just call them when I want to join again. That was it, literally only cared about the subscription costs.
I'd say that was certainly the case for employed electricians .  I think the self employed are for better informed TBH. 

Most electricians haven't got a clue about the changes.
Not too long ago we did some work for a factory who had their own maintenance sparks .   We put a  new TPN board in and it turned out he was not familiar with MCBs .   Not really his fault ,  the place hadn't moved on from the early 1960s ,  mostly Bill rewirable boards , old machinery,  guy worked there on his own with no external input  for years.

Latest posts