DPC - Please comment on the BSI site.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seems as though we now have to install an earth rod regardless of DNO earth or not... presumably so the DNO dont have to mess about putting their own earth rods in...
The DNO have just done a service move on a job we're doing ,  I asked the guys if it will be PME  because the TN-S earthing in the area is breaking down . 

New piece of cable jointed on , only about 2 m long ,   PMEd  but no rods put in .

So what you're saying is , we now have to do them . ?

The DNO have just done a service move on a job we're doing ,  I asked the guys if it will be PME  because the TN-S earthing in the area is breaking down . 

New piece of cable jointed on , only about 2 m long ,   PMEd  but no rods put in .

So what you're saying is , we now have to do them . ?

they normally only put pigtails in off the joint Deke

Ah!  Right .  I 'd seen them laying rods in the trench before back filling .  When I asked why they didn't knock them down ,  they dared not because of the HT stuff lower down ...which seemed a good enough reason to me .  

I saw this last joint but didn't notice any pigtails but I was looking for a rod .TBH .  I think they just fitted a PME head TBH .  

Joint was on domestic property , at the side of a house, 6m from the pavement  so a rod could have gone in. 

Whats happened to them rodding at regular intervals along the route then ,  never happens does it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not too long ago we did some work for a factory who had their own maintenance sparks .   We put a  new TPN board in and it turned out he was not familiar with MCBs .   Not really his fault ,  the place hadn't moved on from the early 1960s ,  mostly Bill rewirable boards , old machinery,  guy worked there on his own with no external input  for years.

I did some testing on a factory like that which had been looked after one chap since yonks ago, a lot of re-wireable boards or BS88 boards there, quite often bits of asbestos contning kit would get removed and re-used elsewhere when things moved around. He'd started fiting some merlin MCB boards recently though, now I pretty sure he didn't really understand much about them, but someone had told him type D was for industrial. As a result whole boards were full of type Ds... it was when it came to the canteen and the circuits were in T/E that the most issues with Zs were found, perhaps the coffee machine socket didn't actualy need to be on a D20!

What you're all forgetting is that with the number of joints they have to do these days with repairs of the blown cable etc, let alone the new connections there are probably a lot more piggies than you imagine.  

Latest posts