Dyson Vac Tripping Rcd

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mapleford

Reaction score
Hi

Just been called out to a Dyson tripping the RCD at a house. Dyson has just been brought back from the manufacturers with a clean bill of health. Board is a Memera 2000 split load with RCD covering house sockets and central heating. Have done a ramp test on the RCD with everything working normally and it trips at 23mA so not too bad. Socket circuit 1 ramp test 25mA. Socket circuit 2 ramp test 23mA. RCD test shows normal tripping times and passes. Property is 10 yrs old and electrically untouched in that time with no external sockets. Have swapped out the RCD and no difference. Vac seems only to trip if both circuits are turned on. No other appliances cause an issue.Have brought the vac back to mine and its not tripping here. Any ideas?

Ok 

No IR as yet as wanted to completely discount dyson before IR test but no other appliance inc washing m/c, dishwasher etc trips RCD. Dyson has now been run at mine with no issues apart from me pushing it around rather than my wife. Dyson is class 2 so can't leak

i would have discounted it being the dyson about the same time as looking at it an noticing it was class 2. and i definitely wouldnt be taking it home to test it there...

When PA testing, I religiously IR test class 2 appliances. Never actually found one that failed, but did have ane reading 10 meg, but still a pass. So it is possible to get leakage from a class 2 appliance.

But as always with this sort of fault IR testing of the installation should be the first thing to check.

To be fair, only just took a look at the rating plate and its got a metal earth pin on the plug. RCD only seems to trip as the Dyson is turned on 

>299m ohm... so 300m ohm ? well there your problem. surprised DNO fuse hasnt melted at that

or maybe you mean >299M ohm?

but if you havent found a fault, you need to keep looking

Ok IR tests

So to sum up

Voltage 244V

IR tests >299 meg ohms for both circuits and against each other

Ramp test for RCD with both socket circuits and water heating circuits on 23mA

Ramp test for socket circuit 1 25mA

Ramp test for socket circuit 2 23mA

RCD standard 1/2-5x tests all pass with normal results

Property 10yrs old with no alterations to electrical installation 

Board is Memera 200 split load with 2 socket circuits and 32A water/central heating circuit (electrical not gas boiler)

RCD trips as Vac is turned on, 

Have swapped RCD for new and still problem exists

Tumble, washing m/c, dishwasher, television doesn't trip RCD

Vac does not trip RCDs at other properties, my vac also immediately trips their RCD

Struggling where to look next, ideas please

Ok IR tests

So to sum up

Voltage 244V

IR tests >299 meg ohms for both circuits and against each other

Ramp test for RCD with both socket circuits and water heating circuits on 23mA

Ramp test for socket circuit 1 25mA

Ramp test for socket circuit 2 23mA

RCD standard 1/2-5x tests all pass with normal results

Property 10yrs old with no alterations to electrical installation 

Board is Memera 200 split load with 2 socket circuits and 32A water/central heating circuit (electrical not gas boiler)

RCD trips as Vac is turned on, 

Have swapped RCD for new and still problem exists

Tumble, washing m/c, dishwasher, television doesn't trip RCD

Vac does not trip RCDs at other properties, my vac also immediately trips their RCD

Struggling where to look next, ideas please
Measured where to where?

What are the readings L-N, L-E, N-E on EVERY circuit tested individually?

Vacuums will have a higher start up surge than lesser appliances so my money is still on an I/R problem somewhere that you have not found yet.

Socket 1 L-N, L-E, N-E all >299

Socket 2 L-N, L-E, N-E all >299

"Global" L-N, L-E, N-E all >299

As with you, think it must have something to do with the inrush but struggling to work out what

Looks like they need a Gtech then. ;)

Have you tried disconnecting everything and trying the vacuum cleaner with only 1 circuit connected?