Economy 7 3 phase meter problem!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisegcrosby

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I really need some help please. I live in a terraced house on a 100 odd year old converted farm. My meter hasn't been working for over 2 years now and although Scottish Power have been 3 times they still haven't arrived with the correct meter. The last engineer that came told me that we need an Economy 7 3 phase meter and that these are like hen's teeth. He suggested I contact other service providers but they told me that they can't touch the meter as it is still SP's.

We are in the process of selling the house so this has made life so stressful as SP are worse than hopeless.

So my questions are:
Does anyone know how to access one of these meters?
If they do, can I purchase one and get SP to fit it?
Could I pay to have an electrician fit it or does that have to be Scottish Power?
Are there any other solutions to the problem such as changing the type of meter?

Please help if you can - I've run out of options.

Thanks
Louise

We pay a direct debit of £50 a month but nobody lives there. They’ve tried sending estimated bills. We’ve had numerous conversations & emails with them. I’ve taken it to the energy ombudsman who rules in our favour but still no meter replacement.

Nobody lives there but they are taking £50 a month can you view your bill online to see how they are accounting for this and how much you are in credit. I would cancel the direct debit and insist they provide you with a bill showing how much energy you have used.

The three phase is presumably a legacy of the farm operation. Why do you now want it in a terraced house?
Maybe apply for a conventional domestic supply.
I also agree that stopping paying should encourage their attention. If they can't bill you, they also can't pursue you for debt.

bad advice imo. if they send a bill then it would need to be paid or disputed as being wrong. simply not paying will only end up bad
I agree there, but if I understand he is NOT being billed but just paying a standing order.
Not my area of expertise at all, but if I don't get a bill then I don't pay anyone anything.
Apparently the energy ombudsman is on his side.

I think you’ll find they legally have to produce a Bill, without it the account is not legal.
I must ask have they installed a second ‘check’ meter at any time to confirm fault?

I would stop payments with immediate effect and put it in writing that they are required to produce an accurate bill for the account as without one you can not ascertain if you are being over billed or under billed and will be landed with a huge debt, if someone knowingly over bills that is fraud.

We do get bills but they are all estimated. I will suggest the check meter. Is it possible to change from a 3 phase meter to a 2 or 1 phase? I’ve no idea why we are on a 3 phase meter. It’s just a normal house. Thanks for all your replies though.

Oh that’s interesting. Does it matter that the house was set up for economy 7? I’m not bothered about keeping that.

It is just SP being awkward and so are the other suppliers you approached. Fact of the matter is, yes, the meter DOES belong to SP, BUT and it is a HUGE but, if you change supplier, then the HAVE BY LAW to sell the meter to the new supplier, they have no choice in this, so, the "new" suppliers are just using this as an excuse, the second you take out a contract with them, it is their meter, that is legal FACT..

Second, how do you know the meter is not working???

If as you say it is NOT working and you have proof of this and SP are aware, then why the heck are you paying them?? Simply stop and tell them to take you to court. This will save you LOADS of effort, as, all you have to do is to then counterclaim, saves you all kinds of effort..

Mind you, £50 a month is very cheap, so you are already on to a winner..

Ring up a new supplier. DO NOT MENTION ANY OF THIS.

just tell them you have a three phase supply Once the first bill comes, tell them that the meter is not working, then go from there.

If you are selling the house though, why is it your problem?? Just sell the house, tell SP the date you are going and sent them the reading and that is the end of that..

Since you ask, you CAN provide your own meter, the law sees to that too..

john..