Economy 7

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what IS the cable exiting the meter box and going to the CU?

I had assumed all singles, G/Y earth (and I was giving benefit of doubt that only the yellow was visible in the pic) and blue. black and red singles.

Now I am wondering if it's a 4 core cable red, yellow, blue and black?

As I have not physically yet seen the setup yet since the change I am making assumptions. That the red going from the terminal block must go to the 1st CU with either of the neutrals, black or blue. Must be the case as everything works

connected to CU1. I made the same assumption, as yourself that it is done in singles. If it is a 4c cable will be a bloody big thing buried in the cavity. Am going to get my daughter to check inside the meter box to see if in fact the yellow cable is actually a green yellow with the green hidden.

Now know that the cable is yellow, so very strange. I suppose will only know for certain when I physically see it.

You would only get a yellow cable on old types ie 3c and earth or 3c armoured. Green was still the earth cover not yellow.

Finally got around to going to my daughter to sort this problem. What had happened was that a cable was assumed neutral  wjen  in fact a live. In the picture  the center blue cable should have been in the right hand , live, connector block.

I have now sleeved the errant blue in brown and the middle red in brown also. And the earths in yellow/green. Am only apportioning some blame to the guy who changed the meter as he obviously made the assumption blue was neutral.

Though he should have given some thought as to why the neutral block had only 2 ways free and the live all 3 were open. He obviously changed over the covering piece of plastic from the live block to the neutral block, so hence he was partially at fault.

Anyway all is okay now.

Latest posts