EICR Query on C2 classifications please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree. It reads to me that the RCCB failed probably as a result of testing, i.e. there was a faulty device which was offering no protection and once it was tripped it wouldn't reset.

However in these circumstances I certainly wouldn't have removed it. I would have contacted the letting agent or whoever and sought permission to replace it. Without permission I would have left it in place with the affected circuits de-energised. (Whether it was a readily available replacement or not we simply do not know.)

Yes , that was what I was told that it failed upon being tested but no test results shown or mentioned . It was a Nylex RCD and I would have expected at least a phone call to explain the problem and discuss the options as a minimum , not wire it out and walk out the door to type up a report ! Appreciate the advice/comments , amawaiting developments .

I have never heard of Nylex, but assuming you miss heard or miss read it and it is a Wylex, then it is one of the most common makes and dead easy to find a replacement for.

No test results does not surprise me. You normaly do a few tests at different currents and different polarities.  If it tripped on the first test and would not reset you could not complete the tests, and in any event a test result on a part that is now U/S and needs replacing is rather meaningless.

Last edited by a moderator:
The situation I was trying to describe is you had tested the rcd, it tripped, but then would not reset,  That is what I suspect happened in this case.

So what do you do if you don't have a replacement to put in?

Leave the customer without power on most of their circuits while yo go and try and get one?

Or offer them the choice of removing the faulty rcd to restore power while you go and find a replacement?

The spark in the OP apears to have removed the rcd with no commitment to go and replace it with a new one as quick as possible.  THAT seems unacceptable.

If none of those are acceptable then the only conclusion is you must have a suitable replacement with you for every rcd that you test, in case it won't reset,  How many of us can say we check we have a suitable replacement before testing an rcd?

If it won't reset because it's a faulty device, and I don't have a replacement device to hand then I'm afraid the power won't be restored. I certainly wouldn't be removing the RCD. It's not an action which I could justify, and if it resulted in electrocution/fire then I would be in very serious trouble.

As I already pointed out I would contact the letting agent or landlord or whoever had ordered the work and seek permission to replace the device. (Obviously this assumes that stock can be readily obtained.)

Last edited by a moderator:
 Just sounds like a rip off merchant, especially the RCD. I've never known an RCD not reset that was fine before testing, fail test maybe, but not reset. Sounds like he's trapped a wire with an accessory screw or something like that. 16th edition board is fine for rentals in my opinion, it offers RCD protection to sockets / shower, which are the esential ccts to protect. I'm surprised he hasn't condemned the board for being plastic, which is very popular these days. £900 for the work to be done is very expensive. 

I would be inclined to make a complaint to which ever registration scheme they clain to be members of.

Latest posts