Electric help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are you on speaking terms with them? is the building as 2 separate properties or 1 thats been converted into 2? do you share the same entrance / front door?

Only seen him once or twice since I’ve moved in and I’ve got a front and back door he has his own fronts door leading to upstairs.

years ago it would of been a house just never bothered to fit another meter for electric and gas upstairs just installed sub meters and estate agents acting like they don’t no about it and I don’t have direct contact for the landlord  

and electrician has told me he has a sub meter connected to my meter 
Sounds to me like the landlord should be paying the main electric bill and then subtracting from your meter the sub meter's figures to divide it between the two of you and then charging each tenant accordingly. 

If it is a sub meter coming from your metered supply (not a looped supply) there should be some means of isolation in your flat for that sub meter, close to your meter/fusebox. I'd be turning that off until the issue was sorted, turning that off, whilst a bit of a last resort, should get it sorted pretty quickly.  

A picture really is worth a thousand words, you can upload to a 3rd party site and link to it here. 

I’m going to email agents back Monday morning stating nothin has been done and in 24hours I will have no option to kill his power upstairs as the situation I’ve been put in isn’t on and it’s causing defaults in my name as I’m not paying for his electric and gas usage 

can’t see another way to get them to sort it out properly really the landlord needs to fork out for another power line and meter instead of damaging tenants credit files 

I’m going to email agents back Monday morning stating nothin has been done and in 24hours I will have no option to kill his power upstairs as the situation I’ve been put in isn’t on and it’s causing defaults in my name as I’m not paying for his electric and gas usage 

can’t see another way to get them to sort it out properly really the landlord needs to fork out for another power line and meter instead of damaging tenants credit files 
you have 10 posts now. Any chance you could upload a photo or 2 showing your meter, fuseboard and the switch for the other flat?

I’ve paid 60 a month from June to jan then switched supplier ( Ino that makes it double as bad ) and then been hit with his usage which I’m guessing is the 590 debt eon are chasing me for 

Previous tenants left a debt letter of 7500 pound to Scottish power crazy aye 

I am struggling to see why this situation was not spotted sooner than now if you have had an account set up for this meter since June last year?

How was this £60 per month figure derived?

Just by guess work? 

OR from some actual meter readings?

How often have you had your meter read..?

Do your bills show actual readings or estimated readings..?

If just estimated have you ever gone online to update actual readings..?

As if you have had accurate readings for each of your bills..

there is no way any significant unforeseen additional costs could suddenly appear out of the blue..

Surely your tenancy agreement will state exactly what the arrangements are for Gas & Electric supplies?      

i.e. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/landlord-and-tenant-rights-and-responsibilities-in-the-private-rented-sector/landlord-and-tenant-rights-and-responsibilities-in-the-private-rented-sector#tenants-rights-responsibilities-and-advice

and from the above guidance..

Pay any other bills•

Your tenancy agreement should make it clear who is responsible for paying bills such as council tax, gas, electricity and water.
• You have the right to choose your energy supplier. Failure to pay your bills may affect your credit rating.

However.

If your arrangement is as you say it is..    where they piggy-back of your meter..

Then the other tenant upstairs would not be able to execute their right to "Choose an energy supplier"

Which makes me think..   Is this a "pukka" rental arrangement...?

:C

I was providing my meter reading and eon started to send me emails stating we need to change your monthly direct debit from 60 pounds for gas and electric to 119 pounds then in dec I had enough thinking eon was ripping me off or I was on the wrong tarif so I switched supplier and then had the 5 year electric check and electrician was in shock saying this should of been sorted 15 years ago 

my contract states I must get in contact with suppliers to put the bill in my name it doesn’t mention it’s linked to upstairs and estate agents asked for eons debt letter so I have sent them that and it’s been over two weeks since that and heard nothing back , yes I’m still paying my rent on time every month too 

https://ibb.co/j4nHhvD

pic of meter top meter is disconnected then one of the black cables goes into bottom right if skirtting board thru wall then runs along top of living room into his apartment 

Last edited by a moderator:
That is all in my bedroom yes I believe so or hope so I have the circuit breaker in the living room 

I dread to think what it looks like inside that enclosure. I assume that turning the left side switch off it isolates your apartment and the meter still runs.

the meter is at the bottom below the meter with blue tape round it that doesn’t work meter is an old analog one in the seethru box and I’m guessing one switch will turn his electric off around they even wrote on it 

Do you mean the circuit breaker board I can get a pic of this in morning that looks normal but will get a pic Incase 

Could you get a picture showing the service head, meters and the fuseboard at a perpendicular angle to the wall they are all mounted on so we can see the cable runs between them properly ?

What do you mean like the two black cables going into the white box or just a birds eye view shot of it all? Will get more pics in morning for sure 

I will pull wooden cover out the way and get a nice pic of it all and my circuit breaker box too in the morning looks like this set up has been like it years maybe when the house was converted into two flats I’m thinking 

Latest posts