Electric help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the meter is at the bottom below the meter with blue tape round it that doesn’t work meter is an old analog one in the seethru box and I’m guessing one switch will turn his electric off around they even wrote on it 

Looks to me like the supply comes into the meter...

Then 2x Grey tails from meter to that "interesting looking board"

Then two cables out (via the switches) to the two black sub-main cables going out to .....

presumably 2x CU's   

one for other tenant?

Well... if you have tried contacting the Landlord and agent with no reasonable reply within a few days of your request...

I would just turn the other switch off...

Make sure that all the power that you are paying for is still on and active..

Then leave it for the landlord and/or agent to contact you to resolve the problem...

If they ask any questions just state that you believe electricity you are paying for is being consumed by someone else.

If your name is on the bill for that meter..

then I would say you have reasonable grounds to take suitable actions to protect the energy you are paying for!

Guinness

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks to me like the supply comes into the meter...

Then 2x Grey tails from meter to that "interesting looking board"

Then two cables out (via the switches) to the two black sub-main cables going out to .....

presumably 2x CU's   

one for other tenant?

Well... if you have tried contacting the Landlord and agent with no reasonable reply within a few days of your request...

I would just turn the other switch off...

Make sure that all the power that you are paying for is still on and active..

Then leave it for the landlord and/or agent to contact you to resolve the problem...

If they ask any questions just state that you believe electricity you are paying for is being consumed by someone else.

If your name is on the bill for that meter..

then I would say you have reasonable grounds to take suitable actions to protect the energy you are paying for!

Guinness
whilst that sounds a great idea, I would suggest that this course of action is emailed to the agent to say you will be doing this in 7 days time if your issues are not answered and resolved by the agent or landlord

that way they have had the chance to resolve the issue and you can’t be blamed for damages by the other flat

I would be seeking advice from Citizens Advice. You need to remember the third party, the other tenant should not be inconvenienced by your situation with the landlord.

I would be seeking advice from Citizens Advice. You need to remember the third party, the other tenant should not be inconvenienced by your situation with the landlord.

Same things applies from the other perspective...

Nor should you be inconvenienced...   (e.g. messed up credit record)...    by the other tenants situation with the Landlord...

It is the Landlord who has legal responsibilities to ensure basic services to their tenants.. NOT other tenants!!

If the Landlord is pi55ing about..  turn the switch off...

As its your credit records being messed up not theirs!!

:C

Is all of this even legal? And I don’t understand how he is living upstairs Scot free and I’m getting in debt I’m not going to move out of here until it’s sorted out and I’ve stopped making payments for my electric and gas since end of March as there is no way of me working out the right amount to pay as if I give them meter readings bam hit with another debt on the account 

What is That and how do I access it please 

wasn’t given a certificate of electric moving in just copy of tenants agreement 

The EICR is what electrician come to do in March this year 5 year checks 

What is That and how do I access it please 

wasn’t given a certificate of electric moving in just copy of tenants agreement 
You are supposed to be given a copy of the EICR by the letting agent or the landlord.

Suggest you ask

Yea letting agent will have it then as I rang up going mad and he said he can’t do nothing until he has seen electrician report 

that was in March 

Not sure on the legalities but I would say you're having electricity stolen from you. 

I wouldn't hesitate in calling the estate agent/landlord everyday, multiple times a day, make sure you become a real pain in their backside until it's sorted. 

As mentioned by other members get onto Citizens Advice and I would go down the route another member mentioned of writing to them to state you're turning off the other flat supply in X number of days as they're stealing your electric. 

As both flats are metered through the one meter the landlord should be paying and including it in your rent or charging each tenant accordingly. 

Currently pushing them as we speak no email yet been open 2hours will go sleep wake and see if any news and update you helpful guys 

Yea letting agent will have it then as I rang up going mad and he said he can’t do nothing until he has seen electrician report 

that was in March 
that is an excuse for inaction.

The letting agency need to get the Landlord involved immediately

you must confirm your conversation in writing and keep a copy. Keep it polite and factual 

Still no reply will be ringing them in the morning the fact they haven’t replied to their enquires email is crazy I have even double checked email is correct 

Still no reply will be ringing them in the morning the fact they haven’t replied to their enquires email is crazy I have even double checked email is correct 

Send a hard copy written letter posted first class and pay the extra to have it signed for..  (think it was around 80p extra last time I did it)

you then get a Royal mail tracking code so you can see when it was delivered and view an image of the "signature"..

Include a letter maybe something like this....

Dear sirs,

I have tried contacting your offices by telephone and email on [ ***** add dates ******], 

to discuss concerns about excessive debts that are accumulating on my electrical account at the flat I am renting from you.    

As you have failed to reply so far, I thought possibly you are having technical difficulties with your computers or telephones,

so a traditional letter may be the best method to contact you?.  

I have reasonable grounds to suspect the upstairs tenant is obtaining electricity that I am paying for.

As there are excessive debts that I don't believe relate to my own personal consumption, measured by the meter in my flat.

Because I have significant worries about my personal credit record being damaged, I need to resolve my concerns promptly.

Following worrying comments from the electrician who came to undertake the recent 5-year EICR inspection,  (a copy of which I am still waiting for),

I have sought further technical guidance via internet support forums, where persons with greater electrical knowledge than myself have evaluated photographs of the current meter wiring arrangement.

I have been advised that the best way to ensure only power I am consuming is measured on the electricity meter on the account in my name,

is to turn off all switches with an unknown purpose. If everything in my flat is still working, then clearly any switches in the Off-position are redundant in relation to my account.

I have double checked my tenancy agreement and cannot see any clauses or instructions relating to any shared supplies?

To avoid any outstanding billing situation escalating to the point of potential legal disputes with my electrical supply company,

I am going to take reasonable steps to ensure only I am using the power that I have purchased.

On Friday 21st May 2021, from 9:00am onward I will start implementing the guidance to turn off all unknown switches, that I don't think relate to circuits supplying my flat.

Clearly if separate metered supplies are actually installed this will not cause any inconvenience to anyone but myself.

I will assume you are happy with this proposed  course of action if I don't hear any reply by close of business, (17:00),  Thursday 20th May.

I will obviously be happy to hear and implement any better solutions you can suggest?

The best way to contact me is by the following  Mobile/Email...

Regards   

Basically..

send a letter you can verify they have received..

give them 2 or 3 days max from receipt of letter..

(obviously pick times/dates you think are reasonable.  you need to give them a couple of days to reply)

Leave it for them to contact you before you turn the switch off.

I do wonder if the upstairs tenant is a friend / relative of the landlord and they have been doing a free-power scam?

Guinness

Will do the above if I don’t hear from them today 

and yea as for the power scam sounds like it to me as the previous tenants left 7,650 debt here as letter was on side when I moved in 

Got a reply from letting agents 

Hi Mr...

Sorry for the delay in any reply - We have been waiting the electrician to come back to me regarding how and best way we can separate and add a meter 

He has come back to me yesterday and he will be contacting you for access to be able to quote for this 

Are they actually aware that you are paying for the power at both premises. It will be interesting to know how they will calculate your usage from the other dwelling in order to compensate you.

Latest posts