Electric Shock From A Radiator

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently received an electric shock from a radiator.

According to the EAWR a "conductor means a conductor of electrical energy".

A radiator is made of metal and is therefore by definition 'a conductor of electrical energy'.

The EAWR regulation 8 says "precautions shall be taken by earthing or other suitable means, to prevent danger arising when any conductor (other than a circuit conductor) which may reasonably foreseeably become charged as a result of either the use of a system, or a fault in a system, becomes so charged..."

My question is therefore "why are radiators not currently being earthed"?

parallel earth paths back to bonding via gas and water - assuming copper pipework through out central heating system then cross sectional area of pipe is 'huge' compared to avaerage bonding cable. So if there is a conductive path back to boiler then you should have decent earthing connection. If plumbing isn't copper, then there should be no earth path, or very limited earth path via water in pipes - basically water in over 1m of plastic pipe offers too high a resistance to be considered a conductive path.

Sure it wasn't static discharge from nylon carpets?

No it certainly wasn't static, my feet were still wet from coming out of the shower and the shock was quite severe as I was putting a wet towel onto the radiator.

Mr Cockburn caused quite a stir on the IET forums, I believe he has also been banned from another independent electrical forum.

Suffice to say, Mr. Cockburns book was reviewed by the IET & believed to be dangerously inaccurate.

IIRC, he is unable to give proofs for his theories beyond flawed anectdotal experiments.

If his manners remain polite then we will consider allowing him to attempt to peddle his dangerous ideas for the time being.

So has the OP posted here to advertise his book?

If he knows enough about earthing to write a book about it, then why post on a forum asking a question about it. Isn't that what a troll does?

All very strange behaviour.

To be honest the OP could have joined with an alias and pretended to be someone else, he came out with his real name - thanks for that.

i don't mind if people ask questions they know the answer to, it can be a very useful learning opportunity. This is a discussion form after-all.

I do second what Sidewinder says - the OP is more than welcome, as long as things remain polite.

PD that is the point, he knows nothing about earthing & bonding, if his book is anything to go by, have a look at the reviews.

It is inaccurate to the point of being dangerous,mas confirmed by the IET, and several other eminant members of our profession.

He has been banned for trolling on another forum, & I'm not sure about the IET site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts