Electrician Woes...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

champ222

Reaction score
[SIZE=medium]Hi All[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I’m new here and after some advice if possible.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I’ve recently bought my first house (a two bedroom 1970s timber framed semi) that has been a bit neglected over the years. I wanted an extra socket or two so I called in my sisters ex who is a sparky and we’ve known him for 15 years or so. And he suggested doing a re-wire since all the carpets were removed etc anyway. Well ok I thought, seems like the ideal time to do it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To cut a very long and VERY frustrating story short, we have got most of the way through and now he doesn’t want to know (the split with my sister is fairly recent, and he is incapable of looking past that to earn some money by finishing this job).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]So far, upstairs mains is done, downstairs mains is done except the kitchen (we weren’t sure where to put the sockets at the time) and downstairs lights are done. New earth cables are run for the gas meter and the kitchen (water pipe).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]So, to complete the job, the upstairs lights need to be rewired, a new consumer unit needs to be fitted with all the appropriate RCDs etc, the new earth cables are to be wired up, sockets put in the kitchen, new cooker cable to be connected (its in place already) and all the appropriate tests are to be carried out.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The problem is, he isn’t “part p” as he mainly works on commercial jobs, but he has a friend/colleague that comes round to perform all the tests and sign everything off when required. This is now not going to happen.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]So this leaves me with a house half-rewired and the work done so far has been done un-notified.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]This has all made me so angry as ive always helped him out in the past with computer problems etc and even typing this out has put me in a bad mood.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]If I find another sparky that “is part p” to finish off the wiring, fit a new consumer unit and do all the appropriate tests, would the certs then cover the work done previously? Most of it is still accessible for inspection/checking if need be.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I do understand the reluctance of electricians to sign off other peoples work, but I welcome any advice to help me get this situation resolved, without having to start all over again.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Thanks guys.[/SIZE]

Good Lord Champ, what a pickle you are in.

I am certain that a guy on this forum more local

to you would be more than happy to help you out

and get the work finished and documents produced.

Did he really HAVE to do the re-wire?

Hi, thanks fo your reply.

Well i'm not sure if a re-wire was required or not, but the cable is all the older colours, and the fuse box is pretty ancient. I plan on being at this house for a few years, so it was best to do it now, rather than once all the decorating is done. It is now hindering progress now, and i just want it finished now.

champ,

Post a little more accurately where you are please and perhaps, there is a member here that can have a look at the situation for you?

I'm convinced I've worked there in the past, but, I can't remember where, it was a machine builder, is all I can remember.

I think!

I am not hundreds of miles away but really am far to busy to finish of jobs. Good luck with it though family issues are always a nightmare.