Estimating techniques

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voltimax

©CAHAGIYTYHE™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just popped home for some lunch, thought I'd have a nosey.

I'm trying to make another estimating spreadsheet. I spent a lot of time on one (thanks for your input sidewinder), but it got too complicated. What I was trying to achieve with it , is a way of building up an estimate in such away that you don't miss anything.

We've all done it. Missed out a few twin sockets, or some cable etc. Over the Christmas break I have been trying to learn VBA for excel, but much of it is going over my head and I've been trying to run before I can even crawl.

Basically I need some ideas, so I thought I'd ask you guys, especially those that use spreadsheets. What methods do you employ to make sure you're not missing items to your estimates? Not really a question to those that price per point, but rather those that break theirs down further. I tried in this last spreadsheet to incorporate a way of choosing items that go into a point cable, back box etc. There are so many times that sockets etc may be chased into brickwork or in stud walls, so items will always be different. Anyway that's where it got complicated, trying to imagine all possible setups and include all the calcs, I just started to lose track.

So, any helpful comments and suggestions would be appreciated. What ever I come up with I'll be putting in the downloads section as I did before, so you may benefit from it ;)

Perhaps, those that use spread sheet estimating/pricing can send Voltimax a blank copy of the system you use. He could then adjust add/delete as per his own needs.....

i have a 'rewire template' and a 'new build template' made in excel.

dont normally miss much

Perhaps, those that use spread sheet estimating/pricing can send Voltimax a blank copy of the system you use. He could then adjust add/delete as per his own needs.....
Now I may have got the wrong end of the stick here, but your reply seems rather sarcastic. Of course I may be wrong.

If you would care to check the download section you'll see I provided a spreadsheet there for everyone to use. I would like to create another improved version, not just for my needs but for anyone else here that may find it useful and I may very well be pursuing a white whale. I'm not looking for peoples work, just their ideas.

Most things I create, I share. You'll also notice the many excel certificates available for download. Well Admin uploaded those, but they are in fact the work of a member here named professional and I'll also tell you that there's some of my work in them too. Were it not for those another member here may not have made the other versions of them in the download area that data validate. There's a wealth of experience here at this forum.

Sidewinder:

Yes I have got the spreadsheet you sent me and thank you for letting me view it. I have many very much like it. I think what I'm trying to achieve will only be possible through VBA. I will be talking to you in the near future, I just got bogged down with other things.

Theory:

Do you not miss much because of the way you've set your sheets up or because you have a good memory? ;)

Care to elaborate? Not asking for a copy, just some ideas.

Now I may have got the wrong end of the stick here, but your reply seems rather sarcastic. Of course I may be wrong.If you would care to check the download section you'll see I provided a spreadsheet there for everyone to use. .
I'm afraid You have got the wrong end of the stick!!! Not having any interest or need for estimating/pricing up spreadsheets, i have never looked at those area's in the download section.

Just thought it would be useful to you, to look at someone else's template....

I'm afraid You have got the wrong end of the stick!!! Not having any interest or need for estimating/pricing up spreadsheets, i have never looked at those area's in the download section. Just thought it would be useful to you, to look at someone else's template....
Fair dues, I was looking at the trailing full stops. I have a friend that does that with text messages when he's being sarcastic. My bad and my apologies.