Industrial Spark going into domestic

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whit263

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
So as the title says i’m a time served industrial spark, who is taking a job in Domestic Electrical, EV and Solar.

I have never ever done “house bashing” in my life other than the odd little job. Is it going to be a shock to me in that sense. Even down to small things like routing cables, drilling joists, getting carpets/floor boards up.

Does my current experience translate to domestic work.

Cheers guys

Maybe not as each environment has it's own quirks. Experienced domestic electricians know the pitfalls and ways to navigate them. Think about it the other way around, would a domestic electrician happily slot into your industrial environment. I've done domestic but have steered clear of it for years and would never return unless I was desparate.

Designing circuits, making satisfactory terminations, dead testing and live testing etc.. should be a walk in the park for you...

But running cables through completely different building structures where fixing methods generally need to be concealed or if visible very neat. whilst also negotiating furniture, floor coverings, ornaments etc.. without causing damage or leaving a mess is a significant difference that can add a lot of extra "non-electrical" work time onto a relatively simple job.

e.g. running a bit of 20mm conduit to add a new surface socket will be much quicker and easier than flush fitting a socket the same distance away when you have to lift carpet and cut access through 2'x8' chipboard floor sheets and fish the cables past other obstacles under the floor!

Hi Guys,
So as the title says i’m a time served industrial spark, who is taking a job in Domestic Electrical, EV and Solar.

I have never ever done “house bashing” in my life other than the odd little job. Is it going to be a shock to me in that sense. Even down to small things like routing cables, drilling joists, getting carpets/floor boards up.

Does my current experience translate to domestic work.

Cheers guys
Hi Whit,
don’t worry you will soon pick up the domestic side of things, just takes a bit of time and lots of questions . Biggest issue will be installing new circuits and the amount of room customers think you need, generally leaving a square foot of space with no elbow room for everything.
I moved from domestic , to working for the local network operator, at the time when we did metering the customer used to think that providing you could just about see the cablehead and meter you could do everything with one hand !
Regards