exporting earth again!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dont blame u. i have read some previos threads on this export pme they can get nasty
Nothing on this forum gets nasty:p

The reason we have these debates are to air an opinion, not everyone have their own.

We have to respect what each person brings to the debate, because that is what they have been taught or have been led to believe.

It is only through debate and questions that other opinions are aired and listened to.

Your never too old to learn, and something another person says may have some good resoning behind it.

The fact that we discuss these matters would imply that we all like to do things safely which after all is what we all want anyway.

The regulations are a guidline and are not enforced by law, therefore everything in the brb can be ignored, providing that what you do is no less dangerous, and as safe as, you would expect following all the guidlines.

However upsetting the Don! Now that can be nastyROTFWL

the against arguments for pme are not understanding how pme is provided.

how a pme at the end of a line of pme installations has less protection than the first is beyond me

i can think of a scenario where the first would have a higher ze than the last

Or there is the third way - on out buildings close to house like sheds and garages without metal pipework, I don't see an issue with exporting earths - I take the stance that I like to earth where the leccy comes from cos it keeps it simple. However outbuildings a longer distance from supply I feel are better kept separate and TT them especially if PME for reasons stated previously.

Like most electrics if its done right it shouldn't be an issue either way.

Or there is the third way - on out buildings close to house like sheds and garages without metal pipework, I don't see an issue with exporting earths - I take the stance that I like to earth where the leccy comes from cos it keeps it simple. However outbuildings a longer distance from supply I feel are better kept separate and TT them especially if PME for reasons stated previously.Like most electrics if its done right it shouldn't be an issue either way.
i agree with your stance on this and this is exactly how i go about outbuildings.

No problem with exporting PME in the correct circumstances.

i agree with your stance on this and this is exactly how i go about outbuildings.No problem with exporting PME in the correct circumstances.
But when is circumstances right, Its a bit like speeding we all do 5mph over limit but some do 10mph. I TT all outbuildings unless there is a real problem getting a rod in. I am not saying this is right but thats what I do.

Batty

i would say a situation along the lines of shed very close to house made from wood with no possibility of extraneuos parts. Customer wants one socket (of course i would insist on a isolator). There is no problem (that i am aware of) exporting PME, it seems a bit overkill to drive a rod down in this situation to me, after all its not all that different from a extension lead.

dont get me wrong nearly all outbuildings i do, do not fit this bill so are TT'd.

i would say a situation along the lines of shed very close to house made from wood with no possibility of extraneuos parts. Customer wants one socket (of course i would insist on a isolator). There is no problem (that i am aware of) exporting PME, it seems a bit overkill to drive a rod down in this situation to me, after all its not all that different from a extension lead. dont get me wrong nearly all outbuildings i do, do not fit this bill so are TT'd.
I would agrre with you on this, if its one socket what I would do is put a switch spur house end and that would act as isolator and as you have said there would be no need to tt instalation.

Latest posts