Wiring an intermediate switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Rowl

Reaction score
I have recently had an intermediate switch fitted by an electrician. This had 4 terminals labelled from top left (clockwise) L1, L1, L2, L2 and it worked a treat!

I've bought another intemdiate switch to replace this (https://www.caradok.co.uk/products/...ntermediate-toggle-switch-1-gang-the-georgian)

The new switch has 6 terminals, labelled from top left (clockwise) L1-1, L1, L2-1, L2-2, L2, L1-2.

The wiring shown in the picture seems to have deactivated the other switches, they do not seem to control the light any more, only the new intermediate switch controls them.

I have tried various combinations and wasted almost a day. I have spent a while researching but just cannot seem to find anywhere that has an intermediate switch with 6 terminals labelled like this.

Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

Thanks

BenOriginal Intermediate 4 terminal.jpgNew Intermediate 6 terminal.jpg

what do the instructions that came with the switch say? failing that, a few minutes with a multimeter would get the switching arrangement

kinda looks like a 2 gang 2 way switch, triggered from a single switch. in which case, that alone will not work as an intermediate, you would need some links between L11-L21 & L12 & L22, although I've never seen an intermediate switch designed that way

I agree that is surely a two gang switch each switch being two way.

Why not use the link to the switch you originally posted and follow their guidance..?

"This means we have total control over every product that leaves our warehouse, and our design team are always available to answer customer queries. If you, or your electrician or interior designer, has any questions please drop us an email or give us a call."

Get in touch

• 01462 374 077

Also it should have come with some connection instructions....
have a check though the packaging it came it for a bit of paper you may have thrown away.

However.. if it is just some cheap Chinese tat that has been imported and sold on, it may have have come with nothing! (zooming in on the image some of the markings look a bit dubious to me).

Looking at the company details from their website I am a bit confused by the claims..

"Caradok Ltd was established by a team of electrical designers and engineers with a shared passion; to make stunningly crafted architectural electrical products that are design classics. We look to create detailing to overlooked parts of your home. We have over 40 years’ experience in the electrical industry, we design and develop switches, sockets, indoor and outdoor lighting and other hardware that is understated but above all, built to last."

Yet companies house info for Caradok 13474238 describes the business, incorporated on 24 June 2021, with a principal activity as:

"Wholesale of radio, television goods & electrical household appliances (other than records, tapes, CD's & video tapes and the equipment used for playing them"
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/13474238/filing-history
And a sole director born in 1978, looks like he must of started in the business aged 5 or younger to have over 40 years experience?

As a further observation the switch needs an earth connected to the metal faceplate

Last edited:
Mmmmmmm
I think his may be some form of combined multi purpose/witchcraft switch
The termination markings also have a subset of numbers

I'm guessing ( and remember there are lots of people who profess to knowing everything )

Old. New
L1. L1-1
L1. L1-2
L2. L2-1
L2. L2-2

If it goes bang don't blame me as I can't see it from here
Why not ring manufacturers and tell them you have lost the instructions?

My guess is a guess and I take no responsibility for ensuing conflagration

I'm pretty sure a multimeter and 5 minutes would sort it out, but it's a strange one

Thanks everyone for the replies. Unfortunately no instructions with the switch and nothing from the supplier (yet).

I thought it was an odd one but was hoping somebody may have a solution after trying a lot of different variations of wiring. I will keep trying the supplier.

Thanks again.

Simplest answer is buy another switch that is a proper intermediate switch with just 4 terminals (plus an earth if metal front). Buy from a reputable shop, even the likes of screwfix, toolstation etc and you won't have a problem.

Simplest answer is buy another switch that is a proper intermediate switch with just 4 terminals (plus an earth if metal front). Buy from a reputable shop, even the likes of screwfix, toolstation etc and you won't have a problem.
The existing switch which worked fine is the only one in the house that doesn't match with the rest, hence switching over to the Caradock switch.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Unfortunately no instructions with the switch and nothing from the supplier (yet).

I thought it was an odd one but was hoping somebody may have a solution after trying a lot of different variations of wiring. I will keep trying the supplier.

Thanks again.
At the risk of repeating what I said
Have you tried what I said?