Fellow computer experts.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the M$ user agreement they retain ownership of the OS, you are licensed to use it on the PC you purchased it with, you have no ownership of the OS therefore no right to sell itIn the US allegedly some users who chose to use Ubantu from day one, have managed to get some sort of refund, but apparently nowhere near the amount that the vendors paid M$ in the first place
could argue you dont agree to EULA, and since you havent used it, you want it refunded?

Thanks for all the advice guys, AND YES I WILL RUN THE DEFRAGGING LATER as it says it may take an hour or more and don't use the comp. at the same time.

Am also looking at this list thing.

Oh quick update on my system :-

Hard drive.........141 GB

Used space........51.1 GB

Free space.........89.9 GB

No issue with space

Trust me run, msconfig, takes seconds, instant results

No issue with spaceTrust me run, msconfig, takes seconds, instant results
Sorry to butt in on your thread deke but plumber mate can you explain how to run msconfig on win7 as it doesn't have a start button and no run button like xp used to have. I'd like to do this too but can't work it out. Cheers

See what the computer is doing1. Ctr ALt DEl and select task manager

2. Click on the processes tab

3. Then click twice on the header named "CPU" (once sorts them ascending, the second sorts them decending)

You will have a list of the processes that are running in order of CPU time.

Let me know the names of any that are hogging the system.

Normally this is caused by you having 2 or more virus checkers which end up working against each other.
Calltro, I did that , list keeps on scrolling , dificult to read , managed to scribble these down.

Internet Explorer 68236K

AOL Software 2468K Why do I want that I'm on Orange.?

CSRSS.exe 5964 K ????????

RoxWhatchTra 1112 K ??????

Flashutil10d.exe 1704 K

Explorer.exe 24844 K

Rapport Service 22024 K

Will log off shortly and leave it defragging.

you are very welcome,

and unless you do stuff that is fairly specific or unique you will probably be able to do the same in Ubuntu,

burn CDs/DVDs, watch movies (wmv inc.), download stuff, send IMs, open office(same as M$ word and powerpoint), etc,

HTH.

:Applaud :Applaud :Applaud :Applaud :Applaud :Applaud how many bits are you in now,?

and does Mrs Deke know where all the bits go.?

and what are you going to do with the bits Sandra doesnt need.?
I think there was a glitch in the process , Brian is tottering around on 3" heels

and Sandra keeps shrugging her shoulders and saying she,s confused.

Im going to go into some of the big chains and fry their heads with a lot of BS and see if they will knock a hundred or two off,

I got my mates stepson one last year with vista on it and told them I wanted an extra hundred off cos we didnt want the 7upgrade as we would be wiping it anyway,

salesman got all confused in the end and ended up not only knocking 100 off but giving a bag and some travel kit as well by mistake. :D

Just fired the 'puter up after the great defragmentation debacle, 8 mins instead of 15 .

There was a box saying it had been done a few days ago ,automatically, but it still took 3 hours .

Bigger hard drives, take longer to defrag.

More stuff you have on the hard drive, the longer it takes.

I always do a disc clean before the defrag, as I don't want to be defragging stuff that I don't need or want on my computer.

With the advanced options of disc clean, you can remove older restore points, which can help speed things up.

There is an icon on the bottom toolbar for connecting to AOL . This was already on the PC when I bought it . I'd like to get rid of it but couldn't find it in the uninstall list .

Any ideas for getting shut of it, or is it just an icon , not taking up space ?