Fused double gang socket

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simpo067

Reaction score
Looking for individually fused mains sockets, double gang.

Imagine a posh extension lead where each outlet is fused but for bench trunking mounting.

Do they even exist?

Cheers

Simpo

I'm trying understand why you would need individually fused sockets when it could be said they are individually fused in the plug top that is used to connect the equipment being used

never seen one and why would manufacturers make one? a above, the fuse is in the plug

even 'posh extension lead' don't. they may have individual switches but there not individually fused for the same reasons as above

I'm trying understand why you would need individually fused sockets when it could be said they are individually fused in the plug top that is used to connect the equipment being used
Same analogy as the extension lead which as a whole is fused at 13 amps but individual sockets at 3.15, therefore if somebody starts plugging in inappropriate faulty kit I won't lose my complete circuit

Same analogy as the extension lead which as a whole is fused at 13 amps but individual sockets at 3.15, therefore if somebody starts plugging in inappropriate faulty kit I won't lose my complete circuit
So what you really want is RCD sockets the problem then is it is likely that the wiring will need RCD protection and there will be no discrimination between the two devices
The other option is to have each socket on a radial with an RCBO which would be total overkill and impractical on a number of counts
Or you stop people plugging in faulty equipment

Ok , so you've had a problem with people plugging in dodgy gear? So what trips when that happens?
Nothing trips but it causes more work tracing the problem to the PDU and UPS, much simpler just to go to the inoperative socket and change the fuse.

The ups is located in a secure area which is also a bind to access.

I simply need to know if these are available or if I'm stuck with desktop clamp mounted fused sockets which are extremely expensive and not aesthetically pleasing

So what you really want is RCD sockets the problem then is it is likely that the wiring will need RCD protection and there will be no discrimination between the two devices
The other option is to have each socket on a radial with an RCBO which would be total overkill and impractical on a number of counts
Or you stop people plugging in faulty equipment
Not necessarily faulty just overpowered for the circuits intended purpose.

FCU / RCD spur adj each socket would be your best option. you can get 10mA RCD spurs which would be more likely to trip first than a 30mA RCD although that's not guaranteed, fault current may still be enough to trip an RCD elsewhere

Not necessarily faulty just overpowered for the circuits intended purpose.
So do you mean the circuit is being overloaded if so it is unlikely that adding fuses at each socket will stop the problem happening
Can you give any indication of the number of sockets on this circuit and the rating of the circuit breaker

Can you just not use 13A domestic type sockets and instead a non-standard socket strip like IEC or Schuko or CEE etc etc then Mrs Mop can't plug in the kettle and knock out the server gear?

It's not easy to understand what the OP's issue is other than overloading of the circuit to need individually fused sockets and under what circumstances these sockets are being used or abused, continually replacing cartridge fuses could over time be a very expensive pastime

could you not just make up a gang of fly leads with a plug on one end ( which you can put whatever bs 1362 fuse you like in) and a trailing socket at the other end?

so how about checking what the max cct load is and installing a mini board before the sockets with suitably sized MCB, so any tripping happens where you can access the MCB easily.