Garage fire alarm with external siren

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wc1966

Reaction score
I recently installed solar and battery at my house with the battery located in my garage.

The garage is however attached the neighbours house and they are concerned the lithium iron phosphate cell is a fire risk.

The risk seems IMHO but he has requested I install a fire alarm with the Siren external to the garage so can be heard.

Anyone have a recommendations ?

wc1966, as domestic smoke/heat alarms do not have an option to connect a remote sounder (Sounder outside the garage) you would be better off installing 2 devices, one in the garage another in the house.
Each alarm can be radio interlinked with the other, so if the garage alarm sounds, so will the house alarm.

However, if you opt for radio interlinked (as opposed to hardwired) ideally the two devices should be less than 30m apart (100m line of sight)

If the garage is ever likely to have a petrol/diesel engine vehicle in it, I would suggest you install heat alarms, not smoke alarms.

You can get a remote signalling interface (You could have just an internal alarm with external sounder) but then you would also need a separate power supply. (More £)

The most reliable / flexible brand is Aico

wc1966, as domestic smoke/heat alarms do not have an option to connect a remote sounder (Sounder outside the garage) you would be better off installing 2 devices, one in the garage another in the house.
Each alarm can be radio interlinked with the other, so if the garage alarm sounds, so will the house alarm.

However, if you opt for radio interlinked (as opposed to hardwired) ideally the two devices should be less than 30m apart (100m line of sight)

If the garage is ever likely to have a petrol/diesel engine vehicle in it, I would suggest you install heat alarms, not smoke alarms.

You can get a remote signalling interface (You could have just an internal alarm with external sounder) but then you would also need a separate power supply. (More £)

The most reliable / flexible brand is Aico
I have a situation where the garage shares a common wall with the neighbour but is not actually connected to my house. Maybe one heat alarm in the garage (as I have a car) linked to a secondary alarm in neighbours house. Could they will RF linked ?

I think it needs to be made clear that it is only possible to RF link alarms from the same manufacturer

I would suggest that the garage needs a standalone solution as linking to detectors in the attached house could have no end of problems and repercussions in the future as detectors come to the end of life and may be swapped out for a cheaper alternative to the already installed detectors

A call to Aico technical may provide a solution that works, as for cost it could work out expensive whatever option is ultimately used but what cost do you put on safety

Seems some misunderstandings have arisen :(

I shall try again.

I am saying install just two heat alarms.
One in the garage
One in the (Neighbours) house

Each is (radio) interlinked to the other.
They are not interlinked to anything else.

Aico, seem to be popular.

:)

Seems some misunderstandings have arisen :(

I shall try again.

I am saying install just two heat alarms.
One in the garage
One in the (Neighbours) house

Each is (radio) interlinked to the other.
They are not interlinked to anything else.

Aico, seem to be popular.

:)

Not sure why you are suggesting linking to the neighbours property😉

The OP needs to answer the question about how far the garage is from his home

I am not suggesting linking to the neighbours property.

The OP said
he has requested I install a fire alarm with the Siren external to the garage so can be heard.

(He, being the neighbour)

Since that can not be done with an off the shelf smoke/heat alarm, I suggested a radio interlinked heat alarm be installed in the neighbour's house. (The neighbour keeps what ever smoke alarms he has or does not have, this is a separate device just to indicate his neighbour's garage is on fire.)

I have done some more searching and found

Battery operated (10 year life span) Radio interlinked Heat Alarm

Click me

Another alternative is to install a not expensive wired burglar alarm panel, a heat detector, and put an external sounder outside.

I have done some more searching and found

Battery operated (10 year life span) Radio interlinked Heat Alarm

Click me
I think they are probably best left where they are when it looks like the manufacturer has no UK office and UK support is offered at odd hours from across the pond

1690355693417.png

The OP needs to answer the question about how far the garage is from his home
The garage is very close to my house (only 2m at the closest point), I already have mains powered alarms I think they're Aico. Not sure if wireless linked or linked through the mains supply, fitted 10 years ago I suspect the latter as was done during a building renovation.

The simplest solution seems to be get a wireless alarm for garage and get another one to go in the neighbours house. Of course I'm under no obligation to do this but I'm doing it to keep good relations as we get on pretty well.

The garage is very close to my house (only 2m at the closest point), I already have mains powered alarms I think they're Aico. Not sure if wireless linked or linked through the mains supply, fitted 10 years ago I suspect the latter as was done during a building renovation.

The simplest solution seems to be get a wireless alarm for garage and get another one to go in the neighbours house. Of course I'm under no obligation to do this but I'm doing it to keep good relations as we get on pretty well.

So you have the best products on the market. You can add RF to your existing unit and use a 10 year lithium unit with RF for your garage.

EI 650RF is the unit for the garage - IIRC, not sure off the top of my head the RF module you would need for your existing unit

Sorry to say, but that is of no use in this case.
It's the neighbour who wants to know if the OP's garage is on fire, hence why it would be better to (keep the neighbour happy) to have two heat alarms (RF Interlinked to each other) one in the garage and one in the neighbours house.

I think they are probably best left where they are when it looks like the manufacturer has no UK office and UK support is offered at odd hours from across the pond

I don't agree.
I checked the reviews, of the 30, 2 did not like them, 1 was because they couldn't press the silence button, and 1 who had to change the battery. There were also 2 who said they do not comply with Scottish regulations, but the seller does not say that they do comply to Scottish regulations.
Those that got them then added more, did not report a problem when they read the manual (Said it took a couple of tries, often people do not read manual correctly.) Smoke alarms by default have no user serviceable parts other than the battery, so yes if it fails change it.

I would have no problem installing them here if I needed them. (I changed all mine 2 weeks ago, as they were slightly over 10 years old)

I don't agree.
I checked the reviews, of the 30, 2 did not like them, 1 was because they couldn't press the silence button, and 1 who had to change the battery. There were also 2 who said they do not comply with Scottish regulations, but the seller does not say that they do comply to Scottish regulations.
Those that got them then added more, did not report a problem when they read the manual (Said it took a couple of tries, often people do not read manual correctly.) Smoke alarms by default have no user serviceable parts other than the battery, so yes if it fails change it.

I would have no problem installing them here if I needed them. (I changed all mine 2 weeks ago, as they were slightly over 10 years old)
I have to say, I've made the mistake of not fitting Aico, it didn't go well