Getting into Meter Installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owenhash

Reaction score
Hi all, would like to train to install meters as another avenue of earning. I have looked all over the web and seems the only way in is to already be qualified. Is a trainee job the only way in or does anyone know of training available that would give you the right quals to apply for these jobs?

Any advice appreciated, thanks ;)

A few years ago a long-term meter installer from SWEB told me he was the only qualified electrician left installing meters, apparently the rest were meter-readers who'd been "trained" to install meters (break seal, pull cut-out, swap meters, replace cut-out, re-seal) I don't know if it was true but it explained all the terrible installations with undersized main earths & tails I saw with shiney new digital meters fitted.

try your local jobcentreplus web site always seem to be looking for meter installers.i no 2 lads who just got a start having just done g&g 2330.

Thanks for the advice guys, i'll keep an eye out. Just found so far that most of them want you to be Mocopa trained

it took me about two hours tops to learn how to change a meter, then you pop back and do it infront of someone from the company that owns the meters and you are qualified.

As said job centre is always looking for them and you dont have to be qualified, its not easy money from what i could make out poor pay and lots of driving seemed to be ordered of the day! but if you have nothing else it would be better than doing nothing!

I know things are changing as large companies are having employees do some sort of fromal training in this.

Had a lad out today came from Luton to Maidenhead for a 3 phase meter change (I'd put in new DB just needed connecting to meter) from old unit to new smart meter.

Speaking to him the training is monkey see monkey do & domestic meter training is a one day effort.

No testing at all, unless the 3 led plug tester for a polarity check counts....No Ze, no pfc/pscc no nothing....no untill I tested the new DB

He told me that all installs they now do are photographed & done in a way with tails lablled L1 L2 L3 once for supply side & L1 L2 L3 twice for load side (thought that was always the case anyway but said nothing) so & I quote "anybody with a little knowledge will know whats what if & when it's next worked on"

Pay is per meter changed & his mileage was starting in Luton, down to Cookham through to Windsor back up to Gerrards cross & back to Luton.

The meters are connected to a modem & sim card & remotely flashed/connected to the network & the modem is located inside the base terminal cover. The only bit of the modem seen is the T-bar cellular antenna.

The time slots are not given in any particular order, so the engineer can choose his/her route to suit.

Easy money if you dont mind driving about.

it took me about two hours tops to learn how to change a meter, then you pop back and do it infront of someone from the company that owns the meters and you are qualified. As said job centre is always looking for them and you dont have to be qualified, its not easy money from what i could make out poor pay and lots of driving seemed to be ordered of the day! but if you have nothing else it would be better than doing nothing!

I know things are changing as large companies are having employees do some sort of fromal training in this.
oh 2 hours it took you that long :D

blimey are you a slow learner then ROTFWL ]:) ] :) :^O :run

For DNOs the hierarchy is cable fitter / meter fitter/ sparky. Although I understand that in my area they have trained the cable fitters to fit meters aswell to do away with silly situation of having to wait for two different people to turn up at one place.