gmail ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrong again Lurch,

Yes Thunderbird will work as will a few others, but, he does not have free reign as to which client he wants to use because of the cost/OS combination, & limits on some of the free clients.

So he is limited to choice.

Choice means that he can use more than one.

You are not the expert on everything.

You also do not know the whole story.

Wrong again Lurch,

Where?

Yes Thunderbird will work as will a few others, but, he does not have free reign as to which client he wants to use because of the cost/OS combination, & limits on some of the free clients.

What costs, what limits? There is nothing at all that is stopping him from using Thunderbird.

So he is limited to choice.

And within that limited list is Thunderbird.

Choice means that he can use more than one.

OK, and? But why would you use multiple clients? Did I say anyone couldn't use more than one?

You are not the expert on everything.

No, but I have no idea why you have such an issue with me answering questions about computers. Just because you are technically illiterate don't keep taking it out on me.

You also do not know the whole story.

OK, so tell me the whole story, what have I missed?

BEST option is forget free email services. Register a domain name, and use an email address related to that. As long as you keep renewing the domain name (which can be set to be renewed automatically) you never have to change email.  If one email address gets too much spam you can change it to a different one @ the same domain.

I have 4 domains, my business, the village where we live, the name of my old house and the name of my new house. The domain relating to the old house will be offered to the buyer when that house eventually sells.

I use a rather obscure email client, incredimail. That lets me access all of them (and check a few old "dead" ones just in case) all in one place.

I can log into my domain name hosts site and check my emails on the server from there, but why would I want such a clunky interface when the email client on the pc does it all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where?

What costs, what limits? There is nothing at all that is stopping him from using Thunderbird.

And within that limited list is Thunderbird.

OK, and? But why would you use multiple clients? Did I say anyone couldn't use more than one?

No, but I have no idea why you have such an issue with me answering questions about computers. Just because you are technically illiterate don't keep taking it out on me.

OK, so tell me the whole story, what have I missed?

Lurch,

You have no idea about me or what I know, or don't know.

It is your attitude I despise.

I would have banned you months ago, however, I am not the only one who has a choice, and you have been kept around for comic value as far as I am concerned.

Having a choice means being able to pick more than just one, because the one you love is amongst them does not mean that it is the be all and end all.

Now wind your neck in or I will ban you, because I can.

BEST option is forget free email services. Register a domain name, and use an email address related to that. As long as you keep renewing the domain name (which can be set to be renewed automatically) you never have to change email.  If one email address gets too much spam you can change it to a different one @ the same domain.

that would be the best option. domain names are about £10 per 2 years. not sure what email hosting costs these days, but its not a lot.

Quite often for small usage the domain host will provide one free email host with the domain. you only have to start paying  small fee for multiple email hosting.

How else can I open gmail without Googling it ?   

Another question if anyone has the time ,   I have to sign out  but will be back later.

How do I move a folder  from Hotmail/Outlook  to  anywhere else on my PC   ...say Documents .  Anywhere as long as I get them out of Outlook .  I can't attach them ,  can't drag them  .

Yes  my Hotmail became Outlook   and now it  constantly refuses entry.        I don't think I'm using the browser  ( Opera)  to email ......am I?  
outlook(.com) email is different to the program outlook. the first is an email service(the internet bit you dont see), the 2nd is an email client to view / send emails (the bit you do see), just like the web page you use to look at your emails in opera

to get the emails onto your computer, you will need something like outlook (program) that will sync with the mail server and keep a local (offline) copy. even then, they dont go into my documents, they are stored in a PST file

You have no idea about me or what I know, or don't know.

Same. I didn't bring up what you do or don't know though.

Having a choice means being able to pick more than just one, because the one you love is amongst them does not mean that it is the be all and end all.

I don't believe I said it was, I just said it was absolutely fine and Outlook wasn't.

Now wind your neck in or I will ban you, because I can.

Because you can? Feel free, if it makes you feel clever and powerful then don't let anyone else stop you. You keep telling me how you own all of this and how great you are. You are the one who keeps going off on a tangent and starts these 'I am better than you' rants. If you ban me I won't have to read them any more.

outlook(.com) email is different to the program outlook. the first is an email service(the internet bit you dont see), the 2nd is an email client to view / send emails (the bit you do see), just like the web page you use to look at your emails in opera

to get the emails onto your computer, you will need something like outlook (program) that will sync with the mail server and keep a local (offline) copy. even then, they dont go into my documents, they are stored in a PST file
Must be honest , I don't really understand this about web pages etc.     I have to go into Google to open gmail ,  I have to go into BT  for private / family emails ......where  does Opera fit in ?       ( Yes I know my understanding of computers is pathetic )