Good morning guys

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggles69

Reaction score
Mornin folks.

I am just starting out at this, so please be gentle with me.

I am currently a serving member of the RAF. Before anyone asks, no I don't wear my uniform down town. The papers are right, we do get too much hassle. I Joined up in 1986 after doing my 1st year (of four) as a refrigeration engineer with Prestcold in Aberystwyth. Decided to get away and see a bit of the world (instead of living and dying in a small, mid-Wales town). I joined up as an electrician, specilising in aircraft installations, as in all the wiring on aircraft, not the hangers they are kept in. Have had a great time since '86 but life 'in a blue suit' has really changed in the last 5yrs or so and feel it's time for me to leave the mob and settle down a bit.

As I started my last 24 months service the MOD will pay for me to re-train to convert my service qualifications into civillian ones. In the area I live (Peterborough) there seems to be a massive shortage of domestic sparks, so I thought I'd give it a go as I have been involved with electricity all my working life and despite the odd 'belt' of 230v now and again, I'm still alive. It might sound a bit strange, but I believe it does a sparks good to have the odd clout of 230.....it keeps us in check and reminds us that the beast we work with WILL bite if we get too cocky or clumsy.

If I start asking (what might seem to you as) silly questions about how to handle customers, what type/size van I might need, what is the best choice for test equipment, etc please forgive me and try not to get angry.

I have been watching the Screwfix forum for a while, but I get put off by some of the ignorant, self-righteous people who reply. I had a little look around this form and though it was MUCH better. A lot more professional and grown up. So I thought I'd take the plunge, sign up and introduce myself.

As I go through all my re-training I hope to get more and more involved and who knows, maybe one day I will be able to actually answer a questin or two instead of asking them all the time............

I have been watching the Screwfix forum for a while, but I get put off by some of the ignorant, self-righteous people who reply.

There are one or two on there, Yes. :(

I had a little look around this form and though it was MUCH better.

Biggles, You're a Gent. Someone WILL answer you soon. :)

Welcome to the Forum, Mate.

Mornin folks.I am just starting out at this, so please be gentle with me.

I am currently a serving member of the RAF. Before anyone asks, no I don't wear my uniform down town. The papers are right, we do get too much hassle. I Joined up in 1986 after doing my 1st year (of four) as a refrigeration engineer with Prestcold in Aberystwyth. Decided to get away and see a bit of the world (instead of living and dying in a small, mid-Wales town). I joined up as an electrician, specilising in aircraft installations, as in all the wiring on aircraft, not the hangers they are kept in. Have had a great time since '86 but life 'in a blue suit' has really changed in the last 5yrs or so and feel it's time for me to leave the mob and settle down a bit.

As I started my last 24 months service the MOD will pay for me to re-train to convert my service qualifications into civillian ones. In the area I live (Peterborough) there seems to be a massive shortage of domestic sparks, so I thought I'd give it a go as I have been involved with electricity all my working life and despite the odd 'belt' of 230v now and again, I'm still alive. It might sound a bit strange, but I believe it does a sparks good to have the odd clout of 230.....it keeps us in check and reminds us that the beast we work with WILL bite if we get too cocky or clumsy.

If I start asking (what might seem to you as) silly questions about how to handle customers, what type/size van I might need, what is the best choice for test equipment, etc please forgive me and try not to get angry.

I have been watching the Screwfix forum for a while, but I get put off by some of the ignorant, self-righteous people who reply. I had a little look around this form and though it was MUCH better. A lot more professional and grown up. So I thought I'd take the plunge, sign up and introduce myself.

As I go through all my re-training I hope to get more and more involved and who knows, maybe one day I will be able to actually answer a questin or two instead of asking them all the time............

Welcome Biggles

Ask away mate you'll get an honest answer from pees here :)

Yeh, welcome Biggles - I'll probably be just as interested in some of your questions and their answers, as I'm still thinking whether to take the plunge again or not ; -)

Damn shame about the way the forces folk are being treated - uniforms in civvy street I mean. Christ knows how our past generations would react eh!

Anyway, result if the RAF are going to pay for your retraining:)

Cheers

B.A.S.

(thanks to Mike for abbreviating my moniker)

Hi Biggles,

Talking to the Chap that I mentioned that was in the RAF, Tonight in college...

... He said he was an AV Fairy.

Regards,

Welshy.

welshy he said he was a fairy thats all, the av was to do with the video he was gonna install :p

B.A.S your welcome mate :D

Latest posts