Help finding the right alarm cable?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all:)

Am helping a mate fix some alarm cables he severed while putting down a floor headbang

I haven't been round for a while, from what I remember it is a 6 or 8 core cable feeding the pir's with an orange & brown twised pair, I think the people who put the alarm in were ADT If that helps?

I have looked at the wholesalers but not much that seems to match :(

Will try get a picture, In the meantime any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks guys Guinness

All alarm cable has the following colours

4 core

red

black

yellow

blue

Then 6 core additionally has

white

green

Then 8 core additionally has

orange

brown

Any colour combination could have been used for any connection, NACOSS rules used to be you had to change the colour code every 10 zones, even on the same job. Best bet is to look in the panel end station to see the connections. Even if its still an ADT system you should be able to repair it and get the customer to reset the panel

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Blue Duck

Yes Alarm Data and Telephone cable normally comes as twisted Pairs, hence often referred to as 2 pair, 4 pair etc.

This helps to identify them and has other benifits electrically.

Not to sure what else you want to know, if you are replaceing damaged alarm cables, all you need is the same number of pairs and as long as you reconnect both ends the same then it should be ok, the actual colours dont really matter.

There is no standard code for the use of the wires. A common scheme is to use red & black for power to the PIR detectors, blue & yellow for the main loop, and white & green for the tamper loop (with orange & brown for additional functions if needed), but it is just one of many possiblities. As noted already, there is actually added security in using a different combination of colors for different parts of the wiring, since anyone who does manage to gain access to a cable would have no idea which wire is which.

Hi Blue DuckYes Alarm Data and Telephone cable normally comes as twisted Pairs, hence often referred to as 2 pair, 4 pair etc.

This helps to identify them and has other benifits electrically.

Not to sure what else you want to know, if you are replaceing damaged alarm cables, all you need is the same number of pairs and as long as you reconnect both ends the same then it should be ok, the actual colours dont really matter.
ive never came accross twisted pair alarm cable... its always 4/6/8 core

OP - just get some cable with the same or more cores as existing

Alarm cable is normally just the overall spiral of all the conductors that you would find with any general-purpose multi-core cable, not twisted pairs.

CW1308 is twisted pairs. The old quad internal wire (blue, orange, green, brown) which was used for most residential installations through to the late 1970's/early 1980's wasn't.
Mine on my van is anyway.

Thanks for all your help guys :)

Think I will go for the 8 core option as have looked almost everywhere for 8 core with a twisted pair and I am starting to think my eyes were deciving me!

Hopefully it will work ok & wont have to back and fix because there is a magnetic imbalance setting off the alarm! headbang

Again thanks, your help is greatly appreciated!!

Guinness

Latest posts