Help! Storage heater sparking!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily

Reaction score
Hello. Was wondering if someone could give me some advice..

I have economy 7 storage heaters in my flat and the other night I noticed a very bright spark quickly appear and disappear in the one in my bedroom. My bedroom is quite small and although my quilt doesn't touch the heater, it is very close and I'm a bit concerned that spark could set me on fire!

I realise I probably need to call my letting agent but wanted some advice in terms of whether I should turn it off, or if it sounds like it's ok??

Thank you in advance,

Emily

Probably just an arc as the thermostat turned on or off, probably nothing to worry about, but get your landlord to check it out to make sure.

If you want to test that theory, tonight when it's energised (after 11pm in most places) try turning the input control up and down. It should click as you turn it up or down. Does the brief flash coincide with the click? if so nothing to worry about.

Yes! The click does coincide with the spark! Sounds like it might be normal then!

Thank you ProDave!

Might do that test tonight!

Emily

personally id rather be safe than sorry and get the temrinals checked anyway, just to make sure that nothing is loose on the cable connection, but thats me being over cautious

as mentioned, sounds like the usual spark when contact is made.

but its not normally something thats visible. you best get it checked out - could be the contacts are failing

Latest posts