Hiding FCU's in cabinets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a12jpm

Reaction score
Got a call today to visit a kitchen all finished up. Has rows of FCU's for fridge/wine cooler/plinth heater etc etc. Customer wants FCU's hidden behind pan drawer under induction hob.

Here's where I can't make my mind up.

So is there really a requirement for the FCU's as can the MCB not be considered sufficient to provide isolation for maintenance? I understand that it is good practice and I always install them myself, but is there a reg requiring it, or am I having a blonde moment!

The fcu's may have been used because appliances are not plugged in but hardwired to flex outlets hence fcu for fusing of the appliances & not just isolation purposes.

As long as they are accessable should be ok, behind a pan drawer is not that accessable though I suppose. If its all finished how are you going to get them there with out any disruption to decor?

The last row of kitchen FCUs i did was behind a pan drawer ... pull the drawer out and you can reach in easy enough ... as long as the occupier knows how to isolate them then no problem ... i did read something about not using the MCB to isolate but i cant remember where i saw it ..

As long as they are accessable should be ok, behind a pan drawer is not that accessable though I suppose. If its all finished how are you going to get them there with out any disruption to decor?
No tiles up yet and pan drawer can be removed easily. I have a feeling it's going to be "one of those jobs" but after spending big thousands on a uber cool kitchen a day of my time is chicken feed.

Thanks for the replies guys. Think I'll check with LABC just to make sure it doesn't hold up their completion cert but can't see any reason why hidden FCU's should be a problem.

No tiles up yet and pan drawer can be removed easily. I have a feeling it's going to be "one of those jobs" but after spending big thousands on a uber cool kitchen a day of my time is chicken feed.
l know the feeling:D

I take accessable in this context to mean accessable without the need to move the item that needs to be isolated. So for a built in fridge, behind it would not be accessable but in the back of a cupboard would be.

I take accessable in this context to mean accessable without the need to move the item that needs to be isolated. So for a built in fridge, behind it would not be accessable but in the back of a cupboard would be.
Pretty much ... you know you would normally see a row of FCUs on the tiles, i tend to put them at the back of cupboard above ... still accessible and local ...

If you needed to isolate it in a hurry then having to move it aint good ..