High Electricity costs in a pub

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johninlondon1

Reaction score
Looking through my mates electricity bills (Scottish power) paying 12p per KW, her total cost for the last 12 months amount to

As Canoodler says , Power monitor .

Could just try your clip-on when pub is up and running , see what current is being pulled.

I was asked the same question by a small engineering firm once , would I call in for half a day and see where power was being wasted , he was on about the toolmakers leaving their lathes running when they went to the loo etc.

1) Most current was being pulled by each of the office staff having brought in their own 2KW fan heater.

2) A 16mm SWA pulling 60A going from his main dist.Bd through the wall into next door premises (Different company) Pulled the fuse , not

a word was ever said .

2) A 16mm SWA pulling 60A going from his main dist.Bd through the wall into next door premises (Different company) Pulled the fuse , not

a word was ever said .
how did that cable get put in? was it previously one owner or something?

Thanks all, the heater for smokers is hardly used (not in last 8 months, the smokers just get cold), all bulbs are low energy wherever possible. She has about 5 fridges for bottled beer and minerals on 24 hours a day, 6 lodgers upstairs (including me). Are u in London Canoeboy? or if a local spark wants to loan me one or show me how to work it, would be appreciated, no money available though, its just an exercise in trying to judge where all the power has gone as I would expect a bill of about 5k-6k per annum. Still in studying so not fully competent as yet and without insurance don't wanna poke about to much, ps its 3 phase with a sub Dist Bd upstairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
They all work and rarely in for more than 4-5 hours perday and doubt they would leave them on overnight. I mentioned to landlady to put radiators (gas) on more frequently with timers but she seems to think its cheaper keeping it off. Even though if they had heaters I don't think usuage would be so high.

I would hazard a guess at lighting being the biggest saver, plus correct power management ie power factor and diversity.