how the forum is run and moderated

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I take the point about PMs. It would seem that open forum "slapped wrist" approach works. In my case though, I had ONE complaint made against me from a forum member and within seconds three mods and an admin berating me. That was unnecessary. Only one modrator or one admin needs to deal with it. PLEASE. You don't need a wholescale attack on a member to bring someone in to line. This smacks of bullying.An excellent example of my gripe. Here we have a maderator who is hinting that he would have given me a 7 day ban. On top of the three mods and an admin who had their say. So which one of the mods and admin do I answer to? This is a very bad way to run a forum. When any mod is seen to interject then other mods back off. There really is no need for several moderators to deal with any member behaving badly. This I feel very strongly about and should be discussed by all the mods and admin. ONE mod or ONE admin takes ona case. That was wrong what happened to me.

Just exactly how many modrators do we have on the forum? And how many administrators? Do we have too many?
Hello again Unphased, just so I am not getting the wrong and of the stick I will just clarify that I am assuming your concerns stem from the Metalclad on a TT thread. Whatever you or any member reads on the open forum may or may not reflect upon what "Reported Post" messages are sent to the moderators. I will not comment on specifics but as far as I know only moderators and Admin get messages received when any member reports a post. All members are free to report any posts they are concerned about using the report post feature. It is generally from "reported posts" that any moderator or admin will make a response.

No members answer to any of the mods or Admin. Every member answers to the forum as a whole. All members, moderators included are entitled to reply to any post they consider appropriate. If you read the wider forum a majority of the moderators posts are part of the constructive debate or assisting newer members with guidance about using the forum.

To try and establish a rule where only one moderator can deal with any particular problem, whilst sensible in theory, in reality it may be difficult to administer. As I have previously mentioned no Admins or Moderators are on any timed shift pattern to oversee the forum, sometimes there may be none logged on, other times there may be several. If one moderator happens to be on line when a situation occurs and starts replying to the problem, but then is busy with other work and unable to give the forum much of their voluntary spare time, then other moderators have to be able to contribute as and when they feel it appropriate.

On the whole moderators try to ensure all members are treated with respect. That general guidance and discussion does answer the various questions asked. That information given is factually correct and not just an abundance of here-say gossip with no reference to the industry guidance. Also that simple spoon feeding answers to very basic questions achieves very little toward anyones increased understanding of the industry. So two way discussion and questioning is a perfectly normal part of a successful forum. All members are entitled to post their opinions on a subject and all members are entitled to comment on those opinions, including Admin and Moderators. But name calling and abuse are not and will not be tolerated. I apologies if we get it wrong on occasions, it is a thankless task and we do our best. I am inclined to think if the forum is run in a very bad way, most members would not be here posting?

I am of the opinion that the number of moderators and/or Admins on any forum is at the sole discretion of those who set the forum up, and pay to keep it running. Not the choice of any member(s) who are just using the free service for their own personal benefit. Admin has added and removed moderators as and when appropriate in the past, I am happy to leave that aspect of the forum to Admins choice. If everyone is complying with the forums T&C's and posting in a respectful manner the number of moderators is irrelevant. Possible having too few could make things complicated when holiday periods, sickness or work commitments restrict the personal time that any moderator can give to the forum.

Doc H.

I agree with you, Doc. However, when a moderator, or indeed an administrator sees a repsonse to a forum member from another moderator, if that response is dealing with a situation, then out of respect that should be seen to be being dealt dealt with. The temptation I fear is for modrators on line to all have a say in the matter and my point is that is unfriendly and IMHO provocative to the member being ganged upon. I am sure you can see I have a point. There is no need to make any rules about this it is something which can be handled as an understanding amongst the forum administrators. What you guys choose to discuss behind the forum is not necessarily required to be formalised in to forum rules. I do hope you can see that. I know that moderators give their time freely but by the same token, I assume the voluntary nature is given willingly so can just as easily be surrendered should the modrator feel he or she is not able to perform the function to the satisfaction of the forum. By the same token I also understand the need for moderators to be able to fill in for holidays, absentees for personal reasons, private life and family would always take precedence.

I also see that several moderators are regular posters and join in with the posts, so it can be difficult I suspect to switch hats during a thread. Anyway, I feel it is good to be able to air this kind of thing, don't you? The underlying theme in all this is behaviour towards individuals and the personal nature of some of the responses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my two pence on the subject, I quite like the forum with a view to accessing information and advice from people, although I definitely feel there are some who have a far too aggressive approach to getting their point across. Some questions people ask on here may seem a tad fundamental to some but let's try and answer all questions with an honest and helpfull reply rather than aggressively accusing the OP of a lack of competency and inept ability to carry out electrical work as some like to do. It's not about scoring points it's about informing people and making the world a safer place.

Good discussion going on here. As long as no-one starts deleting posts lolol as we wont know whats been said. (joke mr unphased from the darkside) I must admit to having a little read of the sf forum when bored and mr unphased was quite funny but can also see why he left. Its a good atmosphere over here with good advice from very knowledgable people. I can also see from both sides of the sitution when somone new starts asking very basic questions which they should know and the residents get the ump. If id done a proper apprentaship (4/5 years) and someone done a 6 week course and claimed to be a sparky you would not be impressed.

There are alot of people in the trade who arnt interetsed and its just a job to them which are the people who are not on here. Everyone on here has an interest in electrics which is why we are here and we ALL are still learning everyday and no-one can possible know everything.

Just saying thanks to all the people who contribute and believe Mr Unphased will become a resident here with good advice to offer (without sf idiots belittling everyone)

Cheers

Its like a pub here, the 'old boy' regulars propping up the bar are what gives the place its character. Their the ones who keep the place ticking over and without them the pub would close, if your a punter that only pops in occasionally for a pint you are not keeping the place open, you are supporting it, but also benefitting from the regulars who make the pub what it is and keep it afloat, if their not there, the pub aint there. As we all know if you walk into a unfamiliar pub but are polite there is no problem, start throwing your weight around and its a different story. I think this is a good pub, a few idiots but isnt there always, nice bar staff and the 'old boys' smell a bit of stale urine but give them a nod and you always get a toothless smile back.

Good thread this,mebbe it could be left up the top there as a place for folks to chuck in thier twopenneth ifn they have any gripes without fear of recrimination

nice to see everyone getting on , it seemed to me about a year ago that most every thread ended up with an argument ( usually the same now banned member involved tbf tho)

group hug? :grouphug

:)

OK... OK .... Time Gentlemen Please !!!! And which one of you has pi$$ed himself again ..... COME ON NOW ..HAVE YOU NOT GOT HOMES TO GO TO ??

STEPPS !!! Agie is on the phone ...says to stop as long as you like now...your dinners up the garden !!!

Nicky,

Are you jealous of those of us who have put our own money into the forum to cover the overheads and bills to ensure it stays free for the rest of you to use?

ok i'm going to add to this.

I have had a bit to drink so forgive spelling

The main problems I see are :

1) If you want to post use English

i r a sparky r u

is not going to get a good response

2) put it in the correct part of the forum

If you start a post with

"I have a client"

followed by a question about ohms law

and post it in the electrical talk forum

you wont get much joy

If you start it with

"I have an exam question that goes like this"

"I have a client, etc"

this is what I think etc

and post in students forum

you will get much better results

Following on from the post by philbas above,

The better worded and explained the question giving the correct information and background that is provided the better the response that will be provided.

We all make typo's but a question with poor grammar, punctuation and spelling is very difficult to interpret.

It also alienates the reader, thus soliciting a poor response as the poster is immediately tarred with a brush that says they have no idea.

This is a limitation of the medium unfortunately.

If you are a learner, or doing a job for the experience then say so, & post the Q in the relevant section, then you will get a MUCH better response and greater support than trying to suggest that you are something that you are not.

BE HONEST, IT PAYS!

Okay, I take the point about PMs. It would seem that open forum "slapped wrist" approach works. In my case though, I had ONE complaint made against me from a forum member and within seconds three mods and an admin berating me. That was unnecessary. Only one moderator or one admin needs to deal with it. PLEASE. You don't need a wholescale attack on a member to bring someone in to line. This smacks of bullying.
As moderators we give our free time for no reward. We do spend variable amounts of time on the forum and if we are already online we may spot things going wrong. Much of the time we rely on the forum self moderating and members drawing our attention to issues. If I am near a computer I will come online when a post is reported as I get a message on my phone. There was more than 1 report recieved the night in question, which goes some way in explaining why more of us made the effort to sign in.

Just exactly how mmoderatorstors do we have on the forum? And how many administrators? Do we have too many?
There are 4 moderators and 2 active admins. At times it is not enough.

Your profile is showing 6 friends, one being Special Location ?
Can I just say in my defense....

My profile says I have 87 friends.........

I honestly never knew Mrs Smith was there....

I have never had lunch or played badminton with him...

and I would never recognise him if he walked into the room now....

well maybe if he was wearing those fishnets & pink high-heels again I might???

:innocent

But other than that....

I have never been in a friendship or relationship with him!!!!

:Blushing

ask Brian:C

mr location

given the lateness of the hour

i will assume a typographical mistake

led you to address mr smith in the female gender

mr smith is quite happy with cojones

and has no intention of swapping them for a void

I am not the worlds best speller thank goodness for spellcheck. But I think it is good to make the effort to write things correctly especially if you are asking for something like the chance for a job or the answer to a question.

Its like a pub here, the 'old boy' regulars propping up the bar are what gives the place its character. Their the ones who keep the place ticking over and without them the pub would close, if your a punter that only pops in occasionally for a pint you are not keeping the place open, you are supporting it, but also benefitting from the regulars who make the pub what it is and keep it afloat, if their not there, the pub aint there. As we all know if you walk into a unfamiliar pub but are polite there is no problem, start throwing your weight around and its a different story. I think this is a good pub, a few idiots but isnt there always, nice bar staff and the 'old boys' smell a bit of stale urine but give them a nod and you always get a toothless smile back.
Every forum starts with a few members...

If it is successful and grows more members join over the course of time...

If it is rubbish.. People DON'T join...

If the earliest members offer bad advice in a disrespectful way then again..

new people don't join or stay......

If it is reasonably good and people do join and stay..

as the forum grows..by definition there will be some who have been there longer and made more posts

and other who have been here less time and made less posts...

If someone has not been on the form very long...

and has not read a lot of the historic posts over the previous years ..

or witnessed previous disputes from disruptive members ....

Then with all due respect I cannot see how they can comment much on how the forum is run and moderated...

Wouldn't it have been a point raised every other week by loads of other members if things were so bad?????

I am certain we have bucket loads of other intelligent members who can assess how the forum runs and is moderated..

and they would have raised it months ago .......

Or is it only certain members who have the discernment to suss out what is good or bad...??

personally I think the general consensus it that the mods and admin....

and all of the other members who contribute by posting are all doing a dam fine job in passing on information about our trade....

I think Guy has hit the nail on the head with..

"start throwing your weight around and its a different story"

Guinness

Latest posts