Hubitat the home automation gizmo, a question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard-the-Ninth

Staff member
TEF Moderator
Reaction score
Some background information:
For those that do not know, in home automation there are "two main leaders" in independent control. Hubitat and Home assistant As I understand it, most smart stuff sends information to a cloud server, then the server responds to said information. (You press a button, the server responds and turns on/off the appropriate device in your house) Yes it's very quick, but here in lies the problem. You fit out your home with "Drachir-kit" RGB lights, remote switched sockets, and you set up routines etc, then in 3 years time Drachir-kit goes to the wall and all of your products become expensive paper weights. A similar problem can temporarily happen if you lose your internet connection so the way round it is to use Hubitat or Home assistant, but home assistant comes as kit, and needs a lot of programming, hubitat is a small ready made box that you plug in. (Yes you have to learn devices to it, but there is no "programming" to be done, I think 🤨)

To date several "smart home automation" companies have started up and gone (In April 2022 Insteon went to the wall) so It's not uncommon, whereas Hubitat and Home assistant can communicate with hundreds of existing devices already, and they will work without internet connection.

My question:
So I am asking if anyone on the forum has Hubitat and was it easy to set up?

FYI:
I am aware of Paul Hibbert on YouTube, but he has annoying off-putting habits, and he is none of you. 😳

For anyone thinking, get off your bum and walk to a switch and turn it on/off I would agree with you, but one of the many possibilities is you can start with one light, then add another and another, and have no need to run in any switch cables as you can control the device remotely, which is handy when they are in the garden.

I dont use Hubitat but I have made a start with Home Assistant. Youree right in some respects that some programming is needed, not really programming in the true sense of the word more configuring. There are shed loads of video's on Youtube covering most things that you may want to do, being open source also makes it easier to integrate new devices. It was a very pleasant surprise when I started mine up that it found the Growatt Inverter, Growatt Battery, Philips Hue, Bose smart speaker and 2 x LG Televisions. I have added WiFi connected current transducer on my battery, CT on my inverter and a CT on my incoming grid connection, each one was a little taxing but nothing a cup of tea and a cruise round Youtube couldn't sort. The more I do with it the easier it gets and the flexibility is superb. I have coded a WiFi connected infra red transmitter and taught the Home Assistant the codes from my Mitsubuishi Aircon, Home Assistant can now start / stop the aircon units in heat or cool mode to a temperature it can set. The WiFi transmitters are mounted in PSU cases and plug directly into 13amp sockets. My aim with this is for Home Assistant to know the temperature outside, the weather forecast, the cost of gas and the cost of electricity from the grid along with battery storage state, it can then decide whether to run heatpumps or gas boiler.

Why not try HA? it's free, will run on an old PC/Laptop or Raspberry PI, WiFi boards are available from Amazon / ebay that will interface to A to D etc.

I've just had a look at the Hubitat compatibility list, loads of stuff missing that I would want to control and no way to add them.

http://docs2.hubitat.com/devices/list-of-compatible-devices

Last edited:
Thanks, John, but the question was about Hubitat. :)
I know it was but it seemed you had considered HA and then dismissed it because of 'programming' I just offered my experience of HA along with a quick look at Hubitat which looks easy IF the items are on their compatibility list. IMHO it looks pretty naff.

Apologies for trying to help and the thread drift, I'll stick to your questions directly in future. #8o(

Last edited: