I Have Been Advised My Re-Wire Job Is Dangerous

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeP

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been on another site and posted pictures of the part re-wire job on a renovation project.  The last comment made 

was this

"When you phone NIC suggest they come round to do an assessment of the work their "qualified" member has carried out. They are supposed to carry out these random inspections to ensure their members are fit for purpose.

If possible try and get the building inspectors to be on site when NIC do the assessment. That could be an interesting meeting as I am sure the building inspectors would be un-happy if NIC accepted that work as satisfatory."

The pictures I have posted show wires outside safe zones and the fuse box not finished with at least 5 wires going through the garage wall (where the fuse box is housed). It shows dog legged wires which run right next to outside walls from sockets instead of running diagonal to the socket and then down the wall.  Wires in the loft conversion have been left to ly there and not fixed to anything (I am not sure about if that is okay or not as no-one has commented on that bit of the job so far). From the fuse box - one wire going through the wall to the hallway has been made live to enable a double socket to be used for joinery and plastering jobs.  

From what you read here.  As a second opinion - what would be the most professional way of me, the customer, dealing with this.  Only when I contact the NIC, I just want to be able to get everything right.  I haven't got much time left on this project and I have two children under 5 to consider.  

Thanking you in advance for your time and any advice much appreciated. 

Unfortunately you can't post pictures here until you have made 10 posts.

Now don't go round making posts just to get your count up, hopefully one of the admin's will come along and enable attachments so we can see your pictures.

Wires should not go diagonally anywhere these days. It should be straight up or horizontally in "safe zones"

Wires in lofts should be "adequately supported"

I wouldn't be happy with a temporary "building socket" in an occupied house unless it was isolated each day when the workers went home.

Hi everyone, I have been on another site and posted pictures of the part re-wire job on a renovation project.  The last comment made 

was this

"When you phone NIC suggest they come round to do an assessment of the work their "qualified" member has carried out. They are supposed to carry out these random inspections to ensure their members are fit for purpose.

If possible try and get the building inspectors to be on site when NIC do the assessment. That could be an interesting meeting as I am sure the building inspectors would be un-happy if NIC accepted that work as satisfatory."

The pictures I have posted show wires outside safe zones and the fuse box not finished with at least 5 wires going through the garage wall (where the fuse box is housed). It shows dog legged wires which run right next to outside walls from sockets instead of running diagonal to the socket and then down the wall.  Wires in the loft conversion have been left to ly there and not fixed to anything (I am not sure about if that is okay or not as no-one has commented on that bit of the job so far). From the fuse box - one wire going through the wall to the hallway has been made live to enable a double socket to be used for joinery and plastering jobs.  

From what you read here.  As a second opinion - what would be the most professional way of me, the customer, dealing with this.  Only when I contact the NIC, I just want to be able to get everything right.  I haven't got much time left on this project and I have two children under 5 to consider.  

Thanking you in advance for your time and any advice much appreciated.
If you send me the pictures I will post them so we can all see what has been discussed.

When you've voiced your concerns with your electrician, what was his/her response?
I mentioned that a building inspector had pointed out that the wires in the hallway were outside the safe zones and he got quite defensive.  I stopped the conversation there and went on the 'net and found a sight that tradesmen and DIY'ers go on just to see what other people think before I went any further with this.  The general consensus of opinion is that it's not a safe site. 

This is another reply to a picture posted 

It is a disgrace that they have left that CU live. You can see a temporary socket hanging on a length of a cable in one of the pics, the otherside of the CU wall I believe, and that is bad enough really, but to leave it connected to an old fuseboard with live exposed parts and no RCD protection is just downright dangerous.

OH I have got "illegal string offset post message....." in a posting on here - I hope that I haven't set something off!  I am only getting used to using these sites as I am no techno head. 

The word dangerous is often misused these days, and leads people into believing what they read. We need to see the same photo's to pass any comments. PM me with the photo's and I will post them here so we can have a look.

The word dangerous is often misused these days, and leads people into believing what they read. We need to see the same photo's to pass any comments. PM me with the photo's and I will post them here so we can have a look.
I am trying to find out how I can upload photos - I can't work out how I can upload them to my profile.  I am a free member so no access to the gallery.  Sorry, to have to ask but how do I send you the photos? 

You can email them to me at  manator AT electricianforum DOT co DOT uk

Last edited by a moderator:
George

You can now post pictures as i have upgraded you (obviously your not a spammer and the 10 rule limit is to help us fight spammers)

You can email them to me at  manator AT electricianforum DOT co DOT uk
I just e-mailed them to you and then got the message from Admin 3.  Thank you to Admin 3 and I have tried to figure out how to upload the photos to an album on my profile (or via the Gallery) but there seems to be no upload button or create new album for me to do so.  Sorry. 

Click the more reply options when you  type your post and you will be able to add attachments

Gallery is completely different

I just e-mailed them to you and then got the message from Admin 3.  Thank you to Admin 3 and I have tried to figure out how to upload the photos to an album on my profile (or via the Gallery) but there seems to be no upload button or create new album for me to do so.  Sorry. 
Admin will no doubt post these up but you could always create a Photobucket account.

Admin will no doubt post these up but you could always create a Photobucket account.
Photobucket is good, but when members delete the photos, they forum posts are left blank

If the photos are uploaded to the forum they stay here and 2,3,5 years down the line it doesn't become confusing when photobucket photos get deleted, accounts changed etc

Photobucket may be easier .

George , we can't help much without pictures to be honest.

The "Builder's" supply without an RCD is certainly wrong but no one wants to condemn someone's work without all the facts.            Cables may have been left in situ. for the time being , with the intention of replacing them as the job progresses.  

The response from NIC will be interesting .  

Edit :   What you call " Dog legged cables "  could well be OK  ......if they run horizontal to a corner ,then go vertical , that sounds like "Safe Zones" to me .

The diagonal bit is a big no-no  by the way .

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the more reply options way of uploading photos and tried first way and then basic uploader but both are telling me the files are too big to upload.  I cannot find a simple way of creating an album.  It just says no albums under my profile settings and no tab for creating an album.  I take it I should be able to create an album in my profile and then upload them to post from there?  It just doesn't show any options..... Apart from having e-mailed the photos to Manator via hotmail I am stuck.  This is very frustrating all round...... 

Photobucket may be easier .

George , we can't help much without pictures to be honest.

The "Builder's" supply without an RCD is certainly wrong but no one wants to condemn someone's work without all the facts.            Cables may have been left in situ. for the time being , with the intention of replacing them as the job progresses.  

The response from NIC will be interesting .  

Edit :   What you call " Dog legged cables "  could well be OK  ......if they run horizontal to a corner ,then go vertical , that sounds like "Safe Zones" to me .

The diagonal bit is a big no-no  by the way .
I am sooooooooo trying to upload a photo that show a double socket that has a cable that goes down the wall about 20", then runs across the wall in a right angle about 15" up from the floor.  Someone said it would have been okay if they had simply run the wire horizontal and then down, ie, without a dog leg in it.  My photos are just too big to upload.  Have hotmailed them to Manator after his kind offer. 

Manators offline

Send them to me and ill do it as soon as i get them

admin AT electricianforum DOT co DOT uk

Latest posts