Immersion Boiler

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike12

Reaction score
Hello guys.

We have moved in to a new build flat a few months ago and we have a electric immersion boiler. It has two switches, one of for half a tank and the other is for a full tank. Since yesterday the full tank has not been working. When we press the switch it light up but the tank does not heat up.

However the half tank switch heats up the boiler.

What could be the probbelem?

Also as the boiler was only fitted in july would it have some kind of guarantee if i contact them?

Thank you for your help.

I'm assuming you mean immersion tank for your hot water.

Your first call should be to the installers - such a set up should last for years without any issues

Hope this helps

Just check for a re-settable over-temperature trip button on the upper heater.  Otherwise, yes it should be on warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do i take the upper cover off to find the reset switch?
Yes ....make sure the power is off .    As Geoff says  ,  a likely problem would be the over-heat  safety button ,  some of them tend to give trouble .   It will be either in the head of the immersion heater  ,  look for a tiny button which will have popped up .   Or it mat be a separate unit  , again button popped up .  

To prevent it occurring again you can try turning down the stat setting on the heater  ,  although  many are sealed at one temperature.   

Also check for overheated wires , loose connections ,   make sure power is off.  

You should have at least a 1 year guarantee on the unit  from the fitter.

The full tank heater is the bottom one.  What is this "upper cover" you are refering to?
The upper cover im referring to is what looks like the tank lid with a pipe going through it. 

Also their is a little compartment at the bottom of the tank with with the full tank wire going ihrough it.  It has the options for opk eco off max and a tiny hole with bipoler safety written. 

Sorry for the confusion, i have no idea what im doing. And thank you very much for your help.

What is the make and model of tank?  Not your average tank with just a couple of immersion heaters by the sound of it.

The upper cover probably won't help, if it's the type of tank I am thinking of the expansion vessel will be in there.

The tiny hole that mentions "bipolar safety" is quite likely the safety cut out.  With the power off to be sure, try gently inserting a small object, screwdriver etc through the hole and listen very carefully to see if anything goes "click" as you gently insert something.

Its a prolitess, i tried resetting through the little hole and nothing happened. No clicks nothing. I will try contacting the installer tomorrow. Thank you

Is there a more full part number?

I am guessing yours has the "smart controller" as shown on page 11 of this brochure? https://www.wolseley.co.uk/wcsstore7.00.1066.986/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/images/products/AssetPush/DTP_AssetPushHighRes/std.lang.all/hu/re/471030-41_OSO_Brochure.pdf

or there is another one shown on page 13

Can you see anything that looks like that probably behind a removable plastic cover.  turn the power off before removing covers for a look.  Somewhere on the orange thing that is the thermostat there will be a reset button of some sort.

I am guessing yours has the "smart controller" as shown on page 11 of this brochure? https://www.wolseley.co.uk/wcsstore7.00.1066.986/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/images/products/AssetPush/DTP_AssetPushHighRes/std.lang.all/hu/re/471030-41_OSO_Brochure.pdf

Can you see anything that looks like that probably behind a removable plastic cover.  turn the power off before removing covers for a look.  Somewhere on the orange thing that is the thermostat there will be a reset button of some sort.

Yes ....make sure the power is off .    As Geoff says  ,  a likely problem would be the over-heat  safety button ,  some of them tend to give trouble .   It will be either in the head of the immersion heater  ,  look for a tiny button which will have popped up .   Or it mat be a separate unit  , again button popped up .  

To prevent it occurring again you can try turning down the stat setting on the heater  ,  although  many are sealed at one temperature.   

Also check for overheated wires , loose connections ,   make sure power is off.  

You should have at least a 1 year guarantee on the unit  from the fitter.

20201115_111524_compress53.jpg

20201115_111455_compress64.jpg

20201115_111438_compress53.jpg

20201115_095704_compress87.jpg

I have attached some pictures, i took the cover of the the bottom cover and tried resetting through hole and nothing happened. Thank you for your help

Ah so it's a standard cylinder with standard immersion heaters.

That hole in the middle is the reset button.  If it did nothing there are 2 possibilities:

The thermostat has failed

The actual immersion heater has failed.

Do you have a multimeter or anything similar?

The electric Immersion boiler system can deliver heat to the house when water is heated. There are 3 key mechanisms of the system which are: 1. A container, in which the water is heated. 2. A pump that forces the water from the boiler over the plumbing, to be spread through the radiators and 3. Heat exchangers, such as radiators or heating baseboards that distribute the heated air into the rooms.

In electric Immersion boiler systems, piping or tubing connections are essential to circulate the fluid that carries heat. Electric boilers are constructed in such a way that they are suitable for dual-fluid systems. Such boilers can generally be installed with all sorts of in-floor hydronic heating systems.

The electric Immersion boiler can also provide a lot of flexibility, when it can be installed in different configurations. All of the heating and switch utilities can be controlled spontaneously from a control-panel. The water temperatures can be by electronic means controlled and set with the thermostat to a wide range of temperatures, with both high and low limits.

The electric Immersion boiler can provide one of the most cost-efficient methods of heating your home. An electric boiler will also provide in higher amount of flexibility and control over the heating process.