Incorrectly wired RCD

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And by the same token, if it's the feed it is not big enough either.

@CSW can you confirm there are in fact cables connected into both the top and the bottom terminals of that RCD?

It worries me I can only see one wire into one terminal of the earth bar. And nothing in the neutral bar.

And as the person connecting it clearly did not know what he was doing, I would worry he has the input into the wrong end, some makes of RCD get upset and let their smoke out if you do that.
Yup black and red in the top and the bottom of the RCD and 2 ground wires to the ground bar

We'll, hard to tell from pic but, if that cable is the one going OUT to the shower it doesn't look large enough to be on a B50 MCB. I assume it's a 10kW shower?
9.8kW rated shower 

I'll check cable measurements and post those back in shortly. Thanks again, great community you guys have here! Never thought I'd get this level of support over a wiring issue.

It’s OK saying isolate first, where does a DIYer isolate safely? I know what I’d do but I’m not telling a DIYer due to the inherent dangers.

He needs a qualified electrician.
Thats right ,  I thought he was a keen DIYer for some reason .   As said , theres also a floating earth wire in the back .  There could be a  40 / 50 A  MCB in the board , who knows .

Just add that, as I 've said before ,  I've  met more than a few "sparks"   who think  that  a ,say ,  40A  / 30mA   RCD   gives overload protection at  40A   :C        

If the disruption to the house to get a bigger cable in is too much, you could always go down to an 8Kw shower.

But you still need to sort out the wiring and get the correct rating mcb

6mm is good for 46A if I remember correctly, so that is good on a 40A MCB provide the cable isn't being run through insulation, and that is sufficient for 9.5kw shower. 

Not been away Tony, just not had much to do on here recently, and I tend to post as myself and not as a moderator on the forum.
Now we have a mystery to solve ...........what is the real identity of  Chewbacca  ?

It could be me , I'm asking just to create a red herring ...then again it may not be . ....  do I not have enough to do handling all the IT stuff ?    Its a mystery. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not been away Tony, just not had much to do on here recently, and I tend to post as myself and not as a moderator on the forum.

Now we have a mystery to solve ...........what is the real identity of  Chewbacca  ?
I think I know but I'm not saying .  I remember Steptoe , I think ,  stumbling upon it . 

Well,it ain't rocket science is it!

who hasn't been on here for a while?

who has A pair of consonants in his name?

who,used to fiddle with dogs and post pictures....AND he had a beard?

do I need to say anymore?
It's not me!

Ah, back when I was a simple member I figured all the mods out. I took it as a little personal challenge.

Latest posts