Wiring tester shows all outlets in house are "incorrect"

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As Binky said a couple of posts ago, we need to be very wary of cheep testers. When I first started 40 odd years ago, I had a Martindale socket tester. I used it as an indicator to correct polarity, until one day I discovered if there was no earth, the polarity showed ok and sugested there was an earth. Strait in the bin, lesson learned.

That is exactly what happened. I just had a professional NAPIT registered electrician come to basically swap the L and N wires going into the CU. The previous "electrician" neither did any testing NOR did he even mark the wires with blue/brown. Two grey wires are VERY easy to confuse.

This could have been deadly. But thankfully a small amount of £ and it's fixed. I'm not sure what to do next, should I pursue some kind of sanction against the previous "electrician" who did this?
Good news , your post howled of reversed polarity from the get-go, a registered Sparky to finally oversee, what amounts a DIY, well worth the cost. The RCD gadget from eBay, wasn't waste of money after all, alerted you to a dangerous situation. The "know all's" quick to write of anything that doesn't meet their approval, some would be experts, dying to rank on posters as is they were cave dwellers, pathetic and reason why many people just don't bother posting on the Forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.