Install practices which annoy you

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On todays last job...

Replacing a faulty square shower switch..

With a Crabtree beastie.... 

But..  Look....  What's this going on with the CPC's??

The problem clearly was, previous installer hasn't got any earth sleeve fat enough...

So solution...  cut off one strand..

Twist 2x groups of three strands...

and stuff some thinner earth sleeve over them both!!

:popcorn IMG_1861.JPG   

The problem clearly was, previous installer hasn't got any earth sleeve fat enough...
I use 2mm sleeve for everything up to earth on a 6mm twin (just)

i hate sleeve that is too big and takes up more space than the cables. Also,a couple of other sizes mainly for sleeving SWA.  BUT I have some and it's like hose pipe...no idea where it cam from but you can just get it on 25mm SWA core

Mindless plumbers who dont't think about where they put stuff.

Small job for someone other night, needed to get in the loft, but couldnt get above where I needed to be as halfway down the roof, two tanks installed side by side (thought it was a coffin style tank to start with, but closer look it was two separate tanks) , taking up just about the entire width of the loft, and the side that had a tiny but of room the overflow pipe ran across, I think the bathroom fitter just managed to get through the next day, so its a tight squeeze for a smallish chap, no chance for anyone a bit bigger!.

That's the top of a kitchen wall cabinet. Only a small space above before the ceiling with a big overhanging pelmet.  I suspect the top of the CU touches the ceiling.  Would be very hard to get any sensible access that way.
Oh brilliant!  I fitted some 5A sockets for my cabinet lights in a similar space, before fitting the pelmet, and that was hard enough.

I suppose the pelmet and cupboard top could be modified to be easily removable but it's a daft arrangement.

On a similar note to ProD's picture...

one from last year...

think this room used to be the garage....  (with fuse box close to ceiling height)

Then converted into a room.....

So customer gets that fuse box thingy and the meter all boxed in so its doesn't look a mess any more...

View inside the cupboard while standing on the floor..

IMG_3390.JPG

Step back a bit and admire it from a wider view...

IMG_3389.JPG

Absolutely NO way to take cover of board without demolishing Chippy Minton's handy-work!

:shakehead   

(luckily I only had to knock off a circuit or two to swap some accessories..)

:popcorn

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts